Good morning clubbers - it's sunshine, seriously it's sunny out there. :ya

My body started seeking retribution at 75, but I keep on doing the things I do so that I can keep on doing the things that I do. More slowly and at a higher physical cost, but the thought of giving in to 'old age' terrifies me.
:frow

In my experience Lyme disease in dogs follows an unusual path. I have had many dogs test positive for Lyme disease yet never show symptoms. Those that have had an acute case have shown rapid crippling. Generally starting with lameness, progressing to back involvement, and then going to extreme pain. I doubt that Gracie has the disease - just throwing that out there as something to keep an eye on. I really believe that every one of my dogs has been exposed to Lyme disease - most never develop clinical symptoms. I don't believe in frequent use of antibiotics, but when one of my dogs shows rapid crippling I immediately put them on Doxycycline. If symptoms subside in 24 to 48 hours I keep them on medication for 28 days. If symptoms to not improve in that time frame , I start looking for another cause for the pain.

Thanks, @sourland . Is there a blood test for it? We've always been faithful to keep Gracie protected from fleas, ticks and heartworms but I know nothing is 100%. I seldom find ticks on her and when I do, they are always dead.

Hello Shad. Hope things are getting back to normal after all those mudslides.
Not yet pertnear09. Some things ain't ever going back.:hmm
If we can get the track fit for purpose over the next few weeks that will do. Trying to take on nature and gravity is a losing battle.

I'm thrilled that at 72 I can still shovel snow faster than the guys using a snow blower. What's the point with that? They baby the machine. I don't "baby" me. I've been shoveling snow for several decades.

My mother said if my father shoveled he'd have a heartache, die, and we'd have no home. A lot of guilt to put on a very young child. I've been shoveling from then on.

And darn I am very good at it.

Stepped on a sharp stick was my usual conclusion
My first Dobie, Amber, drove a root right through the webbing of her back foot once. The lameness was pretty obvious for that as she broke the root off from the ground and it was impaled through her foot when she came in the house!

I have to say my dobes were pretty durable. It was the big stuff that took them down. I can't remember any one of them getting sick with the exception of Ari, the big blue. My mother gave him stawberry ice cream and his ears swelled up to unbelievable proportions. We never had them clipped. When we went to set up the appointment the vet, who was a friend of ours at that point asked us if we really thought we could make them prettier than God did?

Nobody could guess he was a doberman with his big floppy hound ears but he was pretty pathetic with these big swollen ears. I didn't know whether to hug him or laugh at him.

Back
Top Bottom