Good morning all! Hope everyone is enjoying their morning brew.

It's 15 degrees here currently just plain flippin cold. I think February is my least favorite month. It's just plain nasty. Cold, warm, snow, rain, mud, more cold. The warm days are few and usually far between although I can remember having temps in the low 70s 4 years ago that lasted for about a week. Hens thought it was spring and started going broody on me.

@Shadrach, we are heating over 2000 square feet here thus the higher tonnage of wood used. I was up at 2:30 this morning 'feeding the dragon' as I like to describe stoking the stove.

@aart, he said he started with looking up the standard weight of a cord of firewood then figured in the estimated amount of wood that we had piled in the barn by width of pile, length of pile, height of pile and type of wood.

Google 'weight of a cord of oak' to get a start. Here is the link he used.

https://forestry.usu.edu/forest-products/wood-heating

If you are transporting firewood in the bed of a pickup truck, this is valuable information.

DH and I figure that we handle each piece of wood 4 times. Loading it into the tractor bucket, then loading it onto the splitter, then tossing it into the pile. Then picking it up to bring inside. Technically we are lifting the equivalent of 80 tons of wood. Not all at once, mind you ;) But when we tell folks that heating with wood isn't for wimps they just give us this blank stare and think about turning up the thermostat.

Last edited:
There are those people who use them wrong.
That is not the way to use them.
I have 5 cards I use regularly. The total credit limit on them is about $43,000. Other than when I was flipping houses and could charge up to $30,000 on the HD and Lowes cards, I always just pay off the entire balance.
When I had charged high amounts from flipping, it was always interest free for 18 to 24 months with a minimum payment. The house sold, I immediately paid off the cards.
This behavior has netted me a credit score of 835. If I need to, I can waltz into my local credit union and waltz back out with a $30,000 signature loan. Nothing else required but my signature. That can be very handy when there is a house you want to buy and flip but don't have enough cash ATM to close because you are waiting for the one you just sold to close.
835? That's incredible :clap Credit card use and abuse should be taught in schools, in my opinion. But there are a lot of things I think should be learned early on that aren't.

835? That's incredible :clap Credit card use and abuse should be taught in schools, in my opinion. But there are a lot of things I think should be learned early on that aren't.
Yeah but I'm old!
There are LOTS of things that should be taught in schools today that aren't.

Good morning! Thanks for the coffee. It's chilly here this morning at 15F.
My car's inspection expired last month and I have an appointment for 2:00 today but I need to go to Penn Yan for grains and supplies this morning... hopefully, I don't get pulled over! I'll just play the "I didn't notice that expired sticker, officer" card if I do get noticed by the police!
That happened to me just recently. Was out on my lunch break and I got pulled over by a state trooper. The only difference is that I REALLY didn’t know WHY I got pulled over.....it was February and my inspection expired in NOVEMBER!!!! Luckily he was in a great mood and I had a friends of trooper sticker on my window...He let me go and the next day, I had my Jeep inspected....phew!!!!!

Instead of teaching the children, they are worried too much about the testing for ratings. I feel this is ludicrous. Our teachers today are glorified baby sitters. They are not allowed to do correction in the classroom and the parents don't use any kind of discipline at home so it is a vicious circle. They quit teaching longhand writing. Oh I could talk on this all day long.

That happened to me just recently. Was out on my lunch break and I got pulled over by a state trooper. The only difference is that I REALLY didn’t know WHY I got pulled over.....it was February and my inspection expired in NOVEMBER!!!! Luckily he was in a great mood and I had a friends of trooper sticker on my window...He let me go and the next day, I had my Jeep inspected....phew!!!!!
You guys have to get your vehicles inspected? I didn't know that was a thing. Not something we do here.

Instead of teaching the children, they are worried too much about the testing for ratings. I feel this is ludicrous. Our teachers today are glorified baby sitters. They are not allowed to do correction in the classroom and the parents don't use any kind of discipline at home so it is a vicious circle. They quit teaching longhand writing. Oh I could talk on this all day long.
I read a thing the other day, it said: How do you frighten this new generation? Put them in a room with a rotary phone, an analog watch, a TV with no remote and rabbit ears...Then leave directions in cursive :gigSeems ridiculous, but it's a reality.

Back
Top Bottom