Morning, all!

Been lovely sunny, but really windy the last few days. About to head out to mow as the lawns are looking kind of tufty.

Favorite dog just diagnosed with osteosarcoma that has metastasized. Such an insidious disease. Making him comfortable with whatever time he has left before having to make that hard call to the vet. He's really chipper, though, and enjoying the doting.

Coffee good today and much needed.
So sorry to hear that. I know this is a tough time. Just remember all the sweet, funny times ya’ll have had together and give that baby extra hugs

Morning ya’ll. Coffee is on and smells great. Worked in the yard for a couple hours this morning. Just now coming in for coffee. You know how it is: I fed the chickens and walked around looking at stuff. Started to pull some Asian jasmine, decided I needed tools, then spent a couple hours out there. Am making a dent, though. Came in when my legs got shaky. Had a peanut butter sandwich with my coffee- pretty good lol. Gonna rest up awhile and go back out.

Morning ya’ll. Coffee is on and smells great. Worked in the yard for a couple hours this morning. Just now coming in for coffee. You know how it is: I fed the chickens and walked around looking at stuff. Started to pull some Asian jasmine, decided I needed tools, then spent a couple hours out there. Am making a dent, though. Came in when my legs got shaky. Had a peanut butter sandwich with my coffee- pretty good lol. Gonna rest up awhile and go back out.
Morning dry here but am up

Apple Crumble
Ingredients

Dough

• 1 1/4 cups (283g) lukewarm milk, divided
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon (14g) sugar
  • 3 1/4 cups (390g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (zest) or 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
Topping

• 1/3 cup (67g) sugar
  • 1/4 cup (28g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
Cheese filling

• 4 teaspoons (14g) or 2 tablespoons (14g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
  • 1/2 cup (113g) ricotta or farmer's cheese, well drained
  • pinch of nutmeg
Apple filling

• 2 medium Granny Smith apples
  • 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons (14g) or cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (28g) chopped pecans
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions​

To make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the milk, the yeast, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the flour. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 15 minutes, until the mixture becomes bubbly.

Add the remaining dough ingredients and mix and knead until you have a smooth, somewhat sticky dough. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until doubled. While the dough is rising, make the topping and filling(s).

To make the topping: Combine all the ingredients until crumbs form; set aside.

To make the cheese filling: Whisk together the flour and sugar, then mix in the cheese and nutmeg until smooth.

For the apple filling: Peel, core, and finely chops the apples; a food processor works well here. Combine the sugar and cornstarch, and mix into the apples. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the apples are tender and the filling is thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon, nuts, and vanilla. Cool to room temperature before using.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

To assemble: Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, and gently deflate it. Cut walnut-sized pieces of dough (1 scant ounce, 28g) and shape into slightly flattened balls.

Place the pieces of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and let rise until puffy, about 30 to 45 minutes. Using your fingers, press a deep indentation in the center of each ball (too shallow and the fillings will tumble out as the kolaches rise in the oven).

Add a mounded tablespoon of Apple Filling, or 2 teaspoons of Cheese Filling, and crumble a teaspoon of the topping mixture over each.

Bake the kolaches for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool before serving.

Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 1 week. If desired, reheat kolaches for 5 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven.

Apple Crumble
Ingredients

Dough

• 1 1/4 cups (283g) lukewarm milk, divided
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon (14g) sugar
  • 3 1/4 cups (390g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (zest) or 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
Topping

• 1/3 cup (67g) sugar
  • 1/4 cup (28g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
Cheese filling

• 4 teaspoons (14g) or 2 tablespoons (14g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
  • 1/2 cup (113g) ricotta or farmer's cheese, well drained
  • pinch of nutmeg
Apple filling

• 2 medium Granny Smith apples
  • 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons (14g) or cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (28g) chopped pecans
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions​

To make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the milk, the yeast, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the flour. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 15 minutes, until the mixture becomes bubbly.

Add the remaining dough ingredients and mix and knead until you have a smooth, somewhat sticky dough. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until doubled. While the dough is rising, make the topping and filling(s).

To make the topping: Combine all the ingredients until crumbs form; set aside.

To make the cheese filling: Whisk together the flour and sugar, then mix in the cheese and nutmeg until smooth.

For the apple filling: Peel, core, and finely chops the apples; a food processor works well here. Combine the sugar and cornstarch, and mix into the apples. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the apples are tender and the filling is thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon, nuts, and vanilla. Cool to room temperature before using.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

To assemble: Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, and gently deflate it. Cut walnut-sized pieces of dough (1 scant ounce, 28g) and shape into slightly flattened balls.

Place the pieces of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and let rise until puffy, about 30 to 45 minutes. Using your fingers, press a deep indentation in the center of each ball (too shallow and the fillings will tumble out as the kolaches rise in the oven).

Add a mounded tablespoon of Apple Filling, or 2 teaspoons of Cheese Filling, and crumble a teaspoon of the topping mixture over each.

Bake the kolaches for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool before serving.

Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 1 week. If desired, reheat kolaches for 5 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven.

Thanks penny

Back
Top Bottom