Coffee Grounds???

I get free coffee grounds from Starbucks and put them on the compost pile. I know the chickens dig in it sometimes but it must not bother them. I wouldn't feed it directly to the chickens due to the caffiene.

My roses and lilacs get all my coffee grounds. I even pick up used grounds from Starbucks for free to add to my compost or top dressing in the vegetable garden. I've noticed something I think is a bit odd about this arrangement. Honey bees come by the hundreds and gather up the grounds and fly off with them! Are they making coffee honey?!?! They're supposed to be in the almond orchards making almond honey, but they come to my yard to visit the herbs and flowers and collect coffee grounds.

hu.gif

Quote:
i think thats a great idea... "under their roost"!! does it help the smellyness?? i have lots of yummy kona coffee grounds
cool.png
... i usually spread them around the house and in and around my plants to keep the ants away. but maybe the chickens will get some too

I've never known chickens to show any interest in eating coffee grounds and they don't contain any nutritional benefit for them if they did. Better to use them around the roses and camellias.

Back
Top Bottom