Coffee's ready...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyb1969, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Do tell, Rancher Hicks - what was it? Or do we have to get the book to find out?

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:You'll be in mine. Husband has gone w/o work for decent periods of time. Good luck to you!

I'll get the book... [​IMG]

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:What I learned was this. I had a broody who hatched one chick. The thing is that chick got off the nest and the hen didn't get back into the nest to hatch the other eggs and it was a disaster to say the least. The second chick to hatch got pecked bloody and died. So I took the other eggs and well it was just not good. Out of six eggs I got one chick. I've lost a few chicks with broodies.

Minnie says to take the first chicks into the house so the hen will get back on the nest and hatch the other eggs. Otherwise the hen may get off the nest and abandoned some of the eggs.

Now a recent hen hatched the first chick and it got out of the nest and the hen too. I had to put the chick back in the nest and fortunately the other chicks hatched. I had to do this a couple more times until all four eggs hatched.

So the next time I have a broody I'll have the brooder hooked up and take the first chicks til hen hatches all the chicks and then put them back. Or I've got to get the nest set up right so the first chick can get back in the nest, but I'll probably follow Minnies' advice.

The book is $15 including postage.

Have a good night folks

Rancher

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:AMEN - - Preach It Sister ! ! !

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm late getting to this thread. I have been busy helping pack my dad's stuff up. He will be living with us starting tomorrow.

He use to raise chickens when I was a little girl. I started with chickens almost a year ago. Now, dad is moving in and it is like life has done a full circle - - - Long Time Ago: Dad, Little girl, and chickens
    NOW: Dad, Mature Daughter, and chickens.

Life is funny.

I was raised with pigs and chickens for pets . . . . . Now I have pot pelly pigs and chickens - - - 40 some years later ! ! !

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:Well, you share your most deep intimate thoughts and secrets, silly. [​IMG]

Seriously just mention how your day is and what your plans are for the day. How are your chickens doing and what's going on. Just simple stuff. No "OMG!" I'd like to kill my husband stuff. [​IMG] Nothing deep, say good morning. Ask a question or two. Nothing deep like "OMG!" my sister's in jail and her husband took off. Now what do I do with their eight kids? [​IMG] Nothing like that, just coffee's on, chickens hatching all over the place and garden needs weedin'. Maybe mention something good that happened. Dr. Phil isn't on this post so we can't put your head on straight.

You gotta pickle recipe? or How do I keep the chickens from killing each other? Just light encouraging stuff if you can. Let's leave the heavy stuff to God or whoever your faith is in. At least that's what I think you should do here. Hope to see your here again.

Wishing your the best day possible

Rancher

Ok.....
    Today i found a pretty rock with mica in it. And i listened to my ipod, pet my rooster, and ate chicken nuggets. life was good today.
    how was that?

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:That was good. What kinda of music do you listen to ? ?

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good morning my fellow coffee junkies.

The pot is brewing and I'm waiting . . . . . .

Karl - - Where are you located - - - Are you in Florida ? ? ?

Sissy - - What and how many animals do you have ? ?

Rancher - - When do you find time to read ? ? ?

Chicks in the sun - - - When do you report back to work ? ?

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi

I never seem to get a chance to get on the morning Coffee thread. I think it is always a case of coffee to go thanks! This being Sunday is a bit less manic here in the mornings!

I have managed to do two loads of washing and its practically dry already! I seem to have showered my disabled 23 yr old about 5 times in a row! I seriously never considered I would be struggling with dippers at this stage in his life! So now he is clean and content at last!

To de stress I went out to the chicks and had a bit of a talk with them about egg production? Well it is practically none existant ( Had to buy eggs for the first time this year last week - [​IMG] ) Drumstick is suffering a very severe moult and her neck is completely nacked poor thing! She just curles her head under her wings and falls asleep in the yard. She also had scaly mite so her little feet are sore. - Am treating with WD40! She is not my friend! Gerty is in a strop because Bertha has chicks and she doesn't and everytime she shakes her tail feathers fly off! So she is a bit depressed. Isobella is looking lovely and her pretty green and black coat is shinning, her red comb is really bright against her dark feathers. I am glad she is not laying so much because her eggs started to have blood streaks and I was worried about Prolapse - lost Elly due to that. Caroline is getting bigger - she used to lay the tiny wee eggs but now they are near the size of the other girls. She is looking good though I think she has got some of Drumsticks scaly mites - so I am just treating the whole pen and roost and well everything! Caroline is the only hen still laying at the moment! Even she is only giving me one every other day sometimes ever third day. - This happened last year to! But Drumstick didn't moult last year at all - and she was my egg giver! Now she is so pathetic looking - her belly and neck and the top of her head are bald - ! She looks like she forgot to put on her knickers! Though I have noticed there are now new feathers comming in. I am hoping she will get feathered up soon as the weather here is changing and there is a chill in the air.

That done I decided to go on a hunt to see what I could gather for dinner. - Found some lovely broad beans and peas and then some Leeks and potato. After that I took some stalks off the Rhubarb its gone mad! The tomato's seem to be all green - I gave them a stern talking to as well! I am over run with Zuccinis /Coursettes and my Squash are finally flowering! Something wonderful about collecting in the garden and bringing it all in and figuring what to do with it all. - Will be an interesting Dinner tonight I think. - I have a chicken de frosting in the Kitchen - I glance in Berthas direction and note that the 'Roo boys' are getting nearly the size of their mother. - I know one day I will probably be cooking them - I am not allowed to keep roos here. - it is such a shame - I am fond of the roo boys !

Oh well that is my ramblings over I guess. - I wish I could have read all the other posts on this thread but hay only had a 5 min sit down for coffee! Now I am rushing to help DH cut the grass. - My daughter is comming over later and I need to go through all she needs for her baby comming soon. So I will be busy for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the coffee break

Oesdog - [​IMG] ( Music - anything soft - my disabled boy has music on 24/7 - Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Morning, chicken folk!
    Rancher - that is a good tip! The addition I'm building on the coop is designed so that I can block if off if one of the girls goes broody and I give her some eggs to hatch, so that may be in my future next spring. I think I may have made the next box in it too narrow - it's about 16 inches wide. Is that big enough to hatch out babies in? Of course, I'm already over my limit of five chickens, but I'll just explain chicken math to any city inspetors that come by and I'm sure they will understand!
    Math Ace - I go back the 16th. ONE MORE WEEK![​IMG] I can't believe how fast the summer went. When do you go back?
    Oesdog - sounds like you have quite a flock there! And we used to have Ruhbarb growing wild like that in Ohio - loved it!
    BF called last night and said he thought it may have been a mistake to go on an overnight hike in Florida in August. REALLY?...........
    Think I'll go to church today. Haven't been in a few weeks. I'd like to go to the beach but I think we'll be getting rain by the time church is done. Oh well.
    Have a good one!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by