Cold, Cocci, or Worms? (Oh My!)

IzzyMom

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
New Mexico
My 18 mo. old BO is acting strangely. She's congested (no eye or nasal drainage), sounds croupy when she tries to "talk", and is sneezing. After reading multiple posts on multiple diseases/pests, I don't know what to think. I've never "wormed her". We have 3 hens & one rooster, all approx. the same age, being raised in our backyard here in central NM. Lately we have been having quite a bit of rain, along with a wide range of daily temps. (90 in the morning, to 69 at night with a 39% humidity - WAY above our usual 7-10% average). I've looked at her poo and although it seems "floaty" I don't see any eggs or worms.

So where do I start in treatment? Tetracycline in case of resp. infection? Wormer in case it's worms? Or Electrolytes? I can't give all three at the same time, and need some experienced advice. Any clues???
hu.gif

I would treat for the respiratory symptoms. Tylan 50 is better than tetracycline, but if you want to put it in the water, tetracycline (Duramycin-10) would work. Tylan 50 is injectable, and you can give it in daily injections (1/2 ml. into breast muscle daily for 3 days) or by mouth 1/2 ml. daily for 5-7 days. There is a powder Tylan for mixing in drinking water too.

Back
Top Bottom