Cold Ducklings?

ShyanneW

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Maine
Hi all!
Let me get this right out of the way: I don’t know what I’m doing, this is my first time being a duck mama, please help me! 😂

I did all the research I could on ducks and duck breeds, and settled on Pekin ducklings for my first ducks!

I currently have three, and plan to get a few more in the coming weeks.

My sweet yellow fluff butts are all I hoped they would be, and more! This is their second day with me, and they are all huddling together for most of the day. They peep and chirp, eat their food and drink, but any time I check on them, they’re always huddled like in the picture I attached.

I’m not sure if they’re cold or if this is just their happy place? They’re not huddled under the heat lamp, they’re towards the middle of the brooder, so that’s why I’m curious?

Thank you in advance,
Signed,
A very anxious first time duck mama

Attachments

• D0330447-D283-4229-ABF6-CC3A0186ABA5.jpeg
    D0330447-D283-4229-ABF6-CC3A0186ABA5.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 22
Mine like to cuddle even if there not cold, I think they would be under the heat lamp if they were cold. If they were cold they would start to shiver/huddle and their feathers would start to stick outwards.

Cute Babies!
That’s kind of what I thought (that if they were cold they would be under the lamp). No shivering or anything so I’m hoping they’re alright! Thank you!

They love cuddling so its normal to an extent, can you get a thermometer under the lamp?
There’s a thermometer in there, and it’s around 75° which I’ve read is normal for these guys/their age. As the comment below states, they’re not under the heat lamp so I think they may just be snuggling? Thank you both for easing the anxiety!

Back
Top Bottom