Usually people put a cover over a bird cage to keep the bird quiet, it has nothing to do with drafts. Most people don't like a screeching parrot at 5 am.

That would only happen when the air temp is close to freezing, not way below freezing.

Just toss a glass of water into the air when it is below zero... that water is gone before it hits the ground.

Probably my idea of "well below freezing " is different than yours? Perhaps you are thinking 25F? I consider 25 a nice warm winter.

When I hear "well below freezing " I think single digits. Rain is NOT possible in single digits.

BTW the freezing point of water is 32F. 8th grade science.

I live in Maine. Many times we are -40F. We do get rain when it is below freezing. Many times we are colder than Alaska. I've lived here for 67 years. How long have you lived here. I can go out right now and toss that glass up 12 ounces and it won't be gone before it hits the ground. Heck my water in the coop during the day below zero takes about 3 hours to freeze. You haven't figure in the humidity either in your little experiment. Water doesn't freeze instantly. Have you ever put ice cube trays in the freezer. Beside hot water freezes quicker than cold. The rain is made high up and it's warm water so when it falls it is still liquid. Now it can freeze pretty quickly on the frozen ground. Have your ever made a snowman. That snow is very wet and heavy. Why?

Because it's full of rain.

Warm snow and moist snow make great snowmen, that yes is heavy.

Cold snow is like super finely ground sugar and will not clump into a snowball no matter what you do (well... I guess if you melt it... :confused: )

Here is an article going over water disappearing before it hits the ground. Always a fun game.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...bombogenesis-winter-weather-viral-videos-spd/

And Alaska is huge. Some areas are very mild, others are horribly cold.

As to freezing rain... I googled and googled... everything that popped up said freezing rain only happens close to freezing, so never below 20F. :confused:

BTW the freezing point of water is 32F. 8th grade science.

I agree... but I must be missing your point?

My point was just that one person could see the phrase " well below freezing" and think 5 degrees lower, or 8 degrees lower... and another person could see the phrase "well below freezing" and think 20 or 30 degrees lower.

When I hear "well below freezing" I am thinking negative numbers F. And yes... I am well aware that in F freezing is not zero, but 32.

Yeah, they have a secure run. I used to herd them into their house and lock them up each night, but now I realize they genuinely seem to prefer sleeping on the ground in the snow half the time... I only bother when it's really blowing... :barnie
There's a very good reason to build a snow cave if possible if spending a night in the winter wilderness is a necessity; the warmth inside may well keep you alive to get lost again

And people put a cover over their bird cage at night usually even in the house. No draft.
A cover is put in the cage to block the light. Canaries come into breeding condition as the days get longer. Being in a house with artificial lighting can force them into breeding condition when the time is not right or keep them in breeding condition. Female canaries will lay eggs when they are not supposed to be laying. Their breasts actually heat up in preparation for brooding. It is not desirable to have them do this all year round. I actually had a canary hen die from being in breeding condition. Could not get her out of it no matter how much I limited her daylight. She kept laying eggs for months and ran out of energy.

Back
Top Bottom