Cold Polish Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lovemyflock, Nov 22, 2008.

1. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi,

I live in MD and we are having an exceptionally cold, windy day here. I have 1 polish in my flock of 8 and lately she always looks like she is miserably cold. She will not go in the coop by herself to get warm, and all the other chickens are large breeds so they dont seem to mind the cold and are always out in the run scratching around.

For those with polish, what do you do for them when it gets cold...do you keep them in the coop? I'm sure she is fine, just a little worried about her.

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a single Polish also and she does the same thing. She stays outside huddled somewhere, refusing to go into the coop. Some of my other hens do the same thing though, so guess they are all just stubborn.

I haven't done anything different for her. I hope if she gets cold enough she will go inside. I think if her poofy head got/gets all wet on a really cold day, I might bring her in and dry it off. I usually try not to let them outside if its raining though.

Hope your girl will be ok through the winter.

3. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Greene, RI
    I have two Polish the rest of the flock are full size. One of my polish is doing the same thing. The past couple days when everyone else is gone inside she is staying outside alone.
    When I grabbed her last night to put her in I noticed some feathers on the top of her head were missing and her scalp was a little bloody. Now I'm thinking shes being picked on and scared to go in.
    Perhaps its a pecking order issue due to the larger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by