Cold temps and goose eggs?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Our Buff american goose Gizzy just laid her first egg today but tonight says its going 35 and even sometime in the few days colder temps. If she doesn't sit on the egg tonight I worry its going to freeze. Would it be okay to remove the egg tonight and put it back tomorrow? Or how do you go about this situation. Were hoping to hatch eggs but we also want to give her a chance to sit on some.

how old is she?
Shes not even a year. She'll be a year in may I think? And its inside a dog igloo. To much chicken traffic inside the coop lol. I'm going out later after their all in bed to see if she will be laying on it if not I think I'll put some straw on it. Though this weekend its supposed to be 18 and 26. So if shes still not laying on it then I may cave and bring it and any others inside. I heard her geese breed will lay between 5-25 eggs a year.

at her age it's not recommended to let her hatch out her eggs. Brooding is very stressful on a young goose and they will sit there and even go without food for many days ~ but your goose is still growing herself ~ so she needs to keep eating to keep her own health up. Its much better to wait until next year before letting her sit on a clutch of eggs. Collect her eggs and have yourself a nice omelette !

at her age it's not recommended to let her hatch out her eggs. Brooding is very stressful on a young goose and they will sit there and even go without food for many days ~ but your goose is still growing herself ~ so she needs to keep eating to keep her own health up. Its much better to wait until next year before letting her sit on a clutch of eggs. Collect her eggs and have yourself a nice omelette !
Were supposed to be borrowing my sister in laws incubator to try hatching goose eggs. So if its bad for Gizzy's health then we can just keep taking her eggs and not allow her to go broody. We just thought it would be nice if Gizzy does go broody she can try hatching some herself.

Were supposed to be borrowing my sister in laws incubator to try hatching goose eggs. So if its bad for Gizzy's health then we can just keep taking her eggs and not allow her to go broody. We just thought it would be nice if Gizzy does go broody she can try hatching some herself.
oh that will be fun! hatch in incubator aand then goslings will imprint on you! sweet!!
Gizzy is a cute nickname. & she can hatch some next year!

pictures!
I almost got Buffs but got Pilgrims instead, mine a 3 yrs old now, and I want so bad to let Trudy hatch her eggs but can't because
my gander Charlie and her are bro & sis and also their parents I think were bro & sis
I was thinking of buying some Pilgrim hatching eggs and switching hers out but not yet because I have to build them a better house first

IMG_20231129_135235546.jpg
Picture from a while ago. Our toulouse gander Gus in the back. Gizzy in front.

Back
Top Bottom