Cold Weather All Across The Country Tonight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WVDan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Currently -11 and expecting -22 tonight !!!! BRRRRRR
    It hurts to breath out there !!!!!!!

Wind chill tonight -40 Oh why are we in Montana ????

We have 9 inches of snow but it won't snow anymore because it's to cold to snow now [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Got the old bag balm out and greased all the feet, lets and red stuff on the heads !!!!!! [​IMG]

Hope there alright cause DH will not let 10 hens in the bed with us !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Songster

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    not looking forward to that gas bill that will come in the mail soon after the holidays when we're broke. Oh well I like rice and beans

3. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Power bill for the coop could be interesting as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    It's a couple degrees below zero F. here in Maine now. Just went out to close up the pop door. The opening is draped with heavy plastic strips which helps with the wind, but still it is getting on the cool side, even for those hardy Chanteclers. I tend to sleep in on the weekends so they will be annoyed when they can't get out at first light to frolic in the snow. (OK, they don't frolic, they just look for food in the last place they remember seeing it but in my mind they are frolicking.)

There is no wind at all tonight and the stars are out. A half foot of snow on the ground and colored lights in the windows. Pretty warming, all in all, even at 2 below and I was happy just to walk around the paths I shovelled yesterday and enjoy this Solstice weekend night. Tomorrow a nor-easter will visit but I wouldn't trade any of this for a so-called life down south.

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:Too cold to snow?! [​IMG] You mean you don't get snow when it is -30 to -40 below like we do?!!! [​IMG] They are teeney tiny flakes, but you better believe it, it can and does frequently snow at those temperatures![​IMG] Right now though, it's a balmy -9 degrees out there. [​IMG] It's been warm enough lately, that I get chilled just hearing some of your temperatures, holey moley-and the wind chill factor?! Sure am glad we don't get too much wind up here, and I sure hope you guys' storms don't head this way-we don't need them, no we don't!!![​IMG] Watching the weather reports on t.v. makes me want to put my coat on!!! Stay warm now, and take care of your girls, ya hear!! [​IMG] This too shall soon pass!!

6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    chicken women,

Why not? 10 isnt that many? I have six, but I do think hubby would draw the line at them snuggling in bed with me. [​IMG]

Why oh why do they choose 5 degree weather to go into a hard molt? [​IMG]

pic from earlier today...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Maybe I could take my electric blanket out there and cuddle with them.[​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    [​IMG] I dont know. If you fell asleep, they would probably all roost on you. It keeps their feet warm, ya know? [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Jill, hope you're warmer than we are... !!

10. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Not by much, Wild.

Darn, I dont even wanna go out of the house, it takes my breath away.

The chickens are yantsy as all get out, except Fussy. Fussy wont even go NEAR the door, afraid she will get booted out. [​IMG]

She aint no dummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: