Cold Weather All Across The Country Tonight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WVDan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yea, now that I am older and not so foolish as to want to "look good", I actually dress warm for winter.

I find a nice scarf really helps, you can wrap it clear around your throat, and over your ears if you have a nice warm long one. If I keep my throat warm, I am not nearly as prone to sore throats. Sounds like you are the same with your ears as I am with my throat.

Good luck on that garlic. I keep several essential oils around all the time for such things.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I was wearing one of hubby's jackets, and it had a hood and I was too stupid to put it over my head, too busy watching out for kids in the parking lot at Walmart.
    I'll never make that mistake again.

I have a scarf I made, out of fleece, its wider in the middle so I can actually put it over my head and then around my neck. Wasn't smart enough to take that with me.

I'm just not used to having to dress up warm all the time, I often get caught - Oh look its sunny out, and the second I walk out I get HIT with the freeze.

I've been out to chip ice out of water buckets and didn't think I needed my gloves..... [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can use any kind of oil now while your waiting for tomorrow. I have used avacodo oil before.

Getting older is the poops !!!!!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Really?

I have:
    Olive
    Vit e
    and Wheat germ oil

Which do you think?

5. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Girl,

You will be lucky if you dont catch pneumonia if you keep that up.

My hubby is same way, sees the sun and thinks, oh its sunny out, cant be that bad, then gets hit same way. At least he has learned to dress up at work.

He was outside for three hours yesterday at work shovelling and chipping ice. Can you imagine THREE hours in these temps? He has slep the last two days almost straight, so I know it really took it outta him. [​IMG]

6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I have used warmed up Olive oil, works pretty good. It has natural antibiotic properties as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My poor DH is a heavy equipment mechanic for CAT. This time of year everything breaks down in this cold !

He spends the whole day in a freezing shop or outside under a piece of equipment !

I went tonight and bought him some heavy quilted carhart coveralls because he won't spend the money on himself. They were spendy $112.00 but I think it's worth it. He is getting to old for this work ! I wish he could retire but he had stomach cancer 3 years ago and we still have big bills. ![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Songster

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    CW,

I agree. He really needs something like that if he is working outside a lot. Tell him if he protests, that its MUCH cheaper than catching pneumonia!

Poor guy. I couldnt do it, I have trouble just being out a few minutes in this weather! I admire anyone who has to deal with it.

CW, wouldnt you agree, Olive oil probably best?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  9. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Olive oil slightly warm. Then put cotton in your ear . If you have some clove oil that would be good as well. Take some Echinachia if you have it.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I will try the olive oil - I'll get hubby to give me a hand, I'm on my way to bed...
    G'night ladies!

(PS my hubby has those carhart's that are quilted as well for work, he is a welder and is out in the workshop all day!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: