Collapsing 4-month-old chicken

NatRebeca

Hatching
Aug 1, 2015
I have a small backyard flock of 6, four month old chickens.

One of my 4-month-olds collapsed all of a sudden. I let them out of the coop for the first time, all were behaving normally, then suddenly one lay down on her side. It was bizarre. I thought maybe she had a heart attack or stroke or seizure. I picked her up and she was flopping around as if she were almost dead, so I put her in a nest in the coop, and after a few minutes she got back up (although very weak).

This chick's breathing has always been a little heavier, but has never caused any problems before. This particular chick also seems like she's developing slower (her adult feathers aren't coming in as fast as the other chick's did).

Someone on BYC told me that she probably has a genetic defect leading to the slow development, breathing problems, and seizures. It makes perfect sense, and I totally agree. Has anyone had this happen to a chick?

Edit: this morning she is moving around very slowly, is weak, and her breathing is quite heavy.

Last edited:
Is she able to get up and walk around today? Have you noticed lameness in one or both legs? Were the pullets vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have there been wet or moldy conditions where aspergillosis could be a problem? Aspergillus is a fungal respiratory disease from mold that can cause gasping, and neurological problems later. Are they getting layer or starter feed? Since no others are showing any symptoms, hopefully it is a just a problem with her. Seizure disorders do affect some chickens. Vitamins and probiotics in the water may help to increase the immunity or treat a vitamin deficiency.

No, I've never had that happen but from a medical POV it makes me wonder if your pullet doesn't have a heart defect of some kind. That would explain the weakness and heavy breathing and the failure to thrive. In mammals, certain arrhythmias can cause collapse when they occur. I'm not certain if that applies to chickens as well but the thought crossed my mind.

How is your hen's coloring? Is there a greyish blue tint to her comb and wattles when she collapses?

Thank you all so much for your input, but unfortunately I found her deceased after I came back from church this morning. I gave her some vitamin supplements before I left, but I guess I was too late.

All my pullets are on starter feed made for their age (4 months). I didn't notice any lameness in her legs, and I'm hoping that there is no aspergillus fungi, but since my other pullets are very healthy I think that's unlikely. None of them have been vaccinated for Mareks disease, though.

Her comb SEEMED to be normal reddish pink colour, but honestly I didn't really think of looking, and I do think she might have had some sort of heart defect or epilepsy.

Thank you again! Too bad I couldn't save her :(

Back
Top Bottom