Collars for ducks?

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
So since I’m letting my ducks go to the lake I need something to put on the ducks so people can know they belong to someone. I need to do this because I know little kid will try and go pet them or try to feed them. I was thinking collars. I found cute ones online but they were about $20 dollars per collar. YIKES! Do you guys have any ideas of what I could use to make a collar. I think putting a collar on one duck would be fine. Is there any ideas of collars that I can make with the stuff I have at home to make collars? Any ideas?

I would use bands. If you would like something that can be seen easy would be the like goose neck bands. Personally I would not like anything on their necks because of irritation for them and the risk that they get hung up some how

Is this lake on your property? If not, I'd not let them wander off... it's just asking someone or something to take them.

A very good point.

If we object to having other people allow their animals, such as dogs that may eat our birds, to roam free where they will then it's only right that we, in turn, confine our animals to our own property. :)

Is this lake on your property? If not, I'd not let them wander off... it's just asking someone or something to take them.
It's "across the street", not sure if public property or.....what?
So i have 5 ducks and I live right by the lake. The lake is right across the street from me. I always leave the gate open so they can get access under the trampoline for shade. And today I caught them going to the lake by themselves. I caught up with them but after 30 minutes I wanted to walk back home but i decided to leave them since they always refuse to come home. Will they come back? For how long should i leave them?

Putting a neckband around their neck is going to do little to keep kids from feeding or petting them, some could argue that it could worsen the problem, if the kids knew the ducks were someone's "pet, they'd likely think it would be cute. It'd be helpful to know more about your setup. Is this your private pond, a public one?

A collar around a ducks neck would likely be very annoying to the bird, and might cause irritation. Ducks also like to dabble, if they were to dunk their heads down into the water and get it stuck on a snag they would drown.

So since I’m letting my ducks go to the lake I need something to put on the ducks so people can know they belong to someone. I need to do this because I know little kid will try and go pet them or try to feed them. I was thinking collars. I found cute ones online but they were about $20 dollars per collar. YIKES! Do you guys have any ideas of what I could use to make a collar. I think putting a collar on one duck would be fine. Is there any ideas of collars that I can make with the stuff I have at home to make collars? Any ideas?
i wouldn’t let them go to a pond alone, unless it’s on your property and nobody will bother them.

when i take my ducks to the park, i let them swim in the pond while i supervise. they are human imprinted and will come back, but for safety we use a duck harness (and long leash). they also each have tags with my phone number on them just in case they were to get lost (very unlikely, but definitely necessary if taking them in public)

the only time i use collars is to put on their over-collar bandanas, and only let them have them wear them supervised.

Back
Top Bottom