collecting eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunshine Chick 1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    I have had chickens for two years now and have always collected in late afternoon when I went out to feed my other animals. I would get a broken one maybe every 2 or 3 months. Well they have started to lay again since it warmed up here in Florida and I have been getting more and more broken eggs. I was reading in book about chickens that you should collect eggs a couple times a day. I was wonder how often most people collect and when do they collect? should I be collecting more than once a day. I only have 42 hens, and am getting a dozen a day right now. I have 18 that won't be old enough to lay till April. Thanks and have a GREAT week. [​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Only a dozen a day? We have 13 hens and generally run 10-13 eggs a day. I've only had a few broken eggs, maybe 5, in the past year. A rollout nest box works well for some of our birds, and others decided they want to lay on the floor of the coop (deep litter), and in a separate introduction pen.

How many nest boxes do you have? You should probably have 8-10 spots for them to lay. I only collect once a day, in teh evening when I get home from work.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I used to collect my eggs in the morning and in the afternoon. Now I only check in the morning and get someone else to check them in the afternoon when I am not home.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I usually only collect in the afternoon

5. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    you have broken egg eaters come along with broken eggs and with that many hens egg eati ng is gonna spread fast

6. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I check at lunchtime when I come home, & then at the end of my work day. On the weekends I'll check only once mid to late day.

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Sounds like egg eaters to me. I have 31 pullets laying about 24 eggs a day right now (on 3 hours supplemental light).

They'll break one on accident initially, then they'll curiously have a taste, find out they're delicious, then they'll start breaking them on purpose! Usually they will eat the whole egg, shell and all. IMO, it's a hard habit to stop. You'd be out quite a bit of money culling a flock that size (which is how some people would choose to handle it), so I would recommend you get a roll out nest or collect eggs at least 3 times a day. Usually I find my girls are done laying somewhere between 3pm and 5pm. Most eggs are laid early in the morning.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  8. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    Thanks for the info. I have two coops with that many hens. I usually collect around 4ish. I work out of my home so I am home during the day. I have 8 nesting boxes in the one and 6 in the other, but most of the time they lay on the floor of the coops. I think I need to collect more often especially when they are all laying.

9. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Morning and evening, always. If I am around during the day, then at least one other time

10. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I've only got four girls, two of which are laying. I usually check in the morning when I put my dog out, then again in the evening when I get home from work. If there's no eggs either of those times, I'll check at night when I bring the dog in. I've only had one broken egg, but that is because the silly girls kicked/pushed it out into their run & it froze overnight & expanded & cracked. The dog absolutely loved the "ice cream" he got when I found the egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by