Collective Nesting

TJAnonymous

Crowing
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have a question. This is the first time I've ever had broody ducks so be gentle with your responses...ha ha. I had 1 Pekin who became broody several weeks ago. I swear it feels like a month has passed but since I didn't mark the calendar, it may have only been a few weeks now. Anyway, a 2nd duck - a Silver Appleyard - became broody shortly after the Pekin. The two of them have been collectively sharing a nest. There are around 4-5 eggs in the nest. Usually one heads out to the pond with her sisters & the drake while the other sits & guards the nest. They swap out daily, sometimes every few hours. Is this pretty normal? To share a nest and nest duties this way?

I have 3 hens who are collectively raising a hatch of chicks. Might it be the same with two mama ducks raising their ducklings collectively?

KaleIAm

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Carnation, Wa
This summer is the third time my ducks have shared a nest. It's pretty cute, I think. Different duck combinations each time, too. They sit on the nest at the same time, and take turns.

I don't have a drake, so I'm not sure about the duties after hatching.

agoobertuesday

Songster
7 Years
Mar 5, 2014
I'm in your same situation with a Buff and a Runner. They both sit on the nest together, but also take turns. I have 9 females and 2 drakes and all free range, going into a 20x60 pen at night. Looks like we are starting to hatch this morning! I'm a bit worried about the drakes and not sure if I should run a temporary fence to try to keep the other ducks out or not? It's my first time also.

TJAnonymous

Crowing
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I'm in your same situation with a Buff and a Runner. They both sit on the nest together, but also take turns. I have 9 females and 2 drakes and all free range, going into a 20x60 pen at night. Looks like we are starting to hatch this morning! I'm a bit worried about the drakes and not sure if I should run a temporary fence to try to keep the other ducks out or not? It's my first time also.

Lucky you! My girls were bust on hatching eggs. I think it just got too hot in the coop. They did try their hardest though....

Top Bottom