Colloidal Silver Dosage

So many people are appalled when I mention colloidal silver even for my own use, it put my off using it with my chickens Yet it has personally helped me through so many problems.

After reading this thread I think I will start adding this too my chickens water occasionally again :)
They don't understand what colloidal silver is nor do they want to get educated on it. There is a MAJOR difference between IONIC and Colloidal silver. I don't do "facebook" crap for information. cgcsforum.org is the best place to read and understand the many wonderful things CS is used for. Signing up gives you more access to information. There has never been an incident of harm using CS... I have been brewing my own for years.

I use 40ppm Colloidal silver on my chickens and in their water. CS has NEVER ever caused any harm to kidneys, liver etc. Ionic...perhaps...most you buy online is ionic and not to be injested. I make pure Colloidal silver and has helped my flock tremendously.

I have gotten chickens from people that don't look well...feeding them CS, back to health as if nothing ever happened.
Hello, what’s does ppm mean? How do you measure that out. I have CS that I take orally. It’s sovereign silver brand. Is this safe to give my chicken who has bumble foot? Thanks so much for the insight.

Hello, what’s does ppm mean? How do you measure that out. I have CS that I take orally. It’s sovereign silver brand. Is this safe to give my chicken who has bumble foot? Thanks so much for the insight.
ppm means parts per million. There’s a complicated way to measure it out but mostly I just guess. I use CS in my cats/ chickens water and only put it in in drops. I don’t measure it. I’ve never used it for a chicken with bumblefoot but I don’t see why you can’t.

ppm means parts per million. There’s a complicated way to measure it out but mostly I just guess. I use CS in my cats/ chickens water and only put it in in drops. I don’t measure it. I’ve never used it for a chicken with bumblefoot but I don’t see why you can’t.
But what kind of CS do you use? Can I use the sovereign silver for humans to ingest? I would put it in their water.

But what kind of CS do you use? Can I use the sovereign silver for humans to ingest? I would put it in their water.
I don’t remember the brand of CS I use. I got rid of the actual bottle awhile ago and switched it out for a dropper. From what I had read the sovereign silver is just a generic term for CS and should be fine. From my understanding they’re essentially the same. The sovereign silver is used as a dietary supplement. So it should be fine for human consumption.

https://sovereignsilver.com/blogs/blog/what-is-colloidal-silver

Sovereign silver is a very reliable brand. I would definitely give that to my chickens if it were me. PPM defines the size of the particle, and as I understand smaller the better.

I've used it, not an expert in any way. I've used up to 500 PPM concentration, I have seen no ill effects. I generally just guess, based on how seriously sick a bird is. I've put 1 - 2 tsp to a gallon of water, I've given it direct orally up to 1cc two or three times a day. Whether it works or not, I can't really attest too since it was not the only thing being done at the time, I'm usually using it in conjunction with other things treating and/or trying to boost the immune system. I've never had a bird turn blue (argyria), never had evidence of damage to liver or kidneys, I think you would have to do very large amounts for a sustained period of time for that to happen, but if a bird was already having liver or kidney issues that could be different. I gave it in conjunction with antibiotics attempting to treat salpiingitis, that treatment was not successful for that particular infection. Since your birds have been on antibiotics I would try putting them on probiotics also for a while, to help get the 'good' bacteria back in balance, and it may help with the overgrowth of the bad, but will take some time. Once things get out of whack, for whatever reason, it can take some time for things to get back in balance.
If the vet thinks this is bacterial vs viral (some virus's can weaken the immune system leaving them susceptible to other stuff), then I would look at the feed also, maybe an ingredient in your feed is giving your birds some difficulty with digestion which could contribute to the problem (it does happen that some birds don't do well on some feeds), or something environmental. Try to think out of the box and look around with an open mind.
http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2015/03/probiotics-for-chickens.html
When you use the 500 concentrate how much do you give the chicken if you're giving them drops by mouth since she's I cannot confirm that she is actively drinking out of her water

I've never heard of a chicken turning blue. That is usually from long term, high doses though. And a blue chicken wouldn't really be an issue, they're a chicken.
When I've used it I didn't really worry too much about how much, based on all the info I could find, and the dosing tends to be all over the place, I just normally give 1 - 3 drops, 1 - 3 times a day depending on how sick the bird may be. I often use it in combination with other therapies. Sort of a 'kitchen sink' approach with a bird that I might be losing. Most dosing recommendations are using 20-30 ppm solutions, I just get the 500 ppm as I can use less and it lasts longer. I've never had a bird turn blue, but usually the use is not for a really long time, either the bird gets better, or they die from whatever it is/was. I've never dealt with respiratory infections but some have said that tenting them and nebulizing the silver has been helpful for that.
A couple of articles with some references below. For dosing, it's not like antibiotics or other drugs where the dosing is really critical and too much or too little can cause issues with resistance, toxicity, or side effects. So I just read a lot and then kind of averaged out all the stuff I read. I've never killed a bird with it, or seen any negative effects. I've never necropsied a bird and seen any organ issues that could be even possibly attributed to the use of silver.
https://thesilveredge.com/colloidal-silver-for-healthier-chickens-and-other-birds-too/
https://holisticpetcare.com/articles/colloidal-silver-for-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom