Colloidal Silver Dosage

What are you thinking for her treatment? She is having a lot of trouble breathing. I have been trying to remove more of the build-up with little success. What have you found that works to remove the "pus"?

Greetings chicken vet girl,

The research, use, and dosage of colloidal silver for animals, is probably one of the most exasperating and confusing subjects!

In my opinion, if a keeper decides they want to try colloidal silver, it's probably because they are desperate to help their chicken. You've done a lot of research, as I did. I started using colloidal silver, in desperation as well. It's a debatable subject, but, I am not going to debate about it. I can only tell you, it is effective in healing many things. However, it is no replacement for an appropriate antibiotic.

I have been using colloidal silver for at least 3 years. I use it for all of my animals. I don't use it as a supplement. It is a treatment, just like any medicine.

As far as toxicity, I have never seen a silver chicken running around. But, one should always assume there is a possibility for toxicity, in over use or excessive amounts. I use CS along with Doxycycline, to boost the antibiotic effectiveness, and have seen no ill effects. It has improved the quality of life, for hens diagnosed with tumors of the oviduct, and internal layers by staving off infection. It eradicates external yeast in two weeks. It heals eye infections, such as cherry eye in dogs. I recently used, it successfully, on my neighbors horse, for conjunctivitis. I treat bumble foot infections with it, too.

There is no documented scientific therapeutic dosage, for adult chickens.

But, here is what I use:

1100 ppm, colloidal silver. (higher concentration, means less is needed, bottle lasts longer)

• .3 mL (full strength 1100 ppm), one time dose, orally for the first day only, of a severe illness.
  • For chicken that is not drinking, I dilute 2 drops of 1100 ppm, in 10 centiliters of water, I draw 2 mL into a syringe and give the chicken .5 to 2 mL, daily, with antibiotic administration. Caution - even CS water can aspirate the chicken.
  • If the chicken is drinking, 10 drops (full strength 1100 ppm) per gallon of drinking water, for the duration of antibiotic course, usually 10 days.

More Notes:
Colloidal Silver comes in different strengths, 10 to 40 ppm are the most common. You can use the 10 ppm on a hen. It's very diluted, you can give a drop or two to the hen. That should be effective on a hen. But, a 30 or 40 ppm, would be better for external applications.

The recommended dosage for people using a 40 ppm colloidal silver, is 1.25-2.25 mL, daily. And that's a nutritional dose.

Because a dosage for animals is still not established. I take into account that a 6 pound hen is only 4% the weight of an average, adult human. Like all medications, colloidal silver can be over used. So it is important, to try and use a proportionate dosage, in relation to the size of the animal.

I don't use the CS as an antibiotic alternative, for internal infections. I have tried it, and much time was lost for the sick hen, with very little improvement. For external wounds and minor infections, it can be used alone. But here again, combining it with another medicine, can achieve better results. I am also cautious of the potential for toxicity, if a hen is on a long term care regimen. For instance, hens with tumors or internal laying. Their treatment can extend for months. But, this would also be excellent for a hen with salpingitis or suspected egg yolk peritonitis, along with an antibiotic.

These are my thoughts and notes on the use of Colloidal Silver for animals, specifically chickens.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

I know this post is older but I would appreciate some guidance. I have a duck with Bumblefoot. I drained and have been treating with clindamycin 100mg. She is improving but very slowly. I was considering using collodial silver as a booster. Would you suggest ingestion of the CS or just using it topically on the healing wound? I have not yet purchased the CS and a suggestion on the strength would be greatly appreciated. I have a 7 lb pekin duck.

Thank you! Sometimes you can read so much information that you feel even more overwhelmed than what you started. I will definitely read the articles. And thanks to all that replied with their experience of actual use of colloidal silver. All of your posts and questions have gotten me through so much.

Greetings chicken vet girl,

The research, use, and dosage of colloidal silver for animals, is probably one of the most exasperating and confusing subjects!

In my opinion, if a keeper decides they want to try colloidal silver, it's probably because they are desperate to help their chicken. You've done a lot of research, as I did. I started using colloidal silver, in desperation as well. It's a debatable subject, but, I am not going to debate about it. I can only tell you, it is effective in healing many things. However, it is no replacement for an appropriate antibiotic.

I have been using colloidal silver for at least 3 years. I use it for all of my animals. I don't use it as a supplement. It is a treatment, just like any medicine.

As far as toxicity, I have never seen a silver chicken running around. But, one should always assume there is a possibility for toxicity, in over use or excessive amounts. I use CS along with Doxycycline, to boost the antibiotic effectiveness, and have seen no ill effects. It has improved the quality of life, for hens diagnosed with tumors of the oviduct, and internal layers by staving off infection. It eradicates external yeast in two weeks. It heals eye infections, such as cherry eye in dogs. I recently used, it successfully, on my neighbors horse, for conjunctivitis. I treat bumble foot infections with it, too.

There is no documented scientific therapeutic dosage, for adult chickens.

But, here is what I use:

1100 ppm, colloidal silver. (higher concentration, means less is needed, bottle lasts longer)

• .3 mL (full strength 1100 ppm), one time dose, orally for the first day only, of a severe illness.
  • For chicken that is not drinking, I dilute 2 drops of 1100 ppm, in 10 centiliters of water, I draw 2 mL into a syringe and give the chicken .5 to 2 mL, daily, with antibiotic administration. Caution - even CS water can aspirate the chicken.
  • If the chicken is drinking, 10 drops (full strength 1100 ppm) per gallon of drinking water, for the duration of antibiotic course, usually 10 days.

More Notes:
Colloidal Silver comes in different strengths, 10 to 40 ppm are the most common. You can use the 10 ppm on a hen. It's very diluted, you can give a drop or two to the hen. That should be effective on a hen. But, a 30 or 40 ppm, would be better for external applications.

The recommended dosage for people using a 40 ppm colloidal silver, is 1.25-2.25 mL, daily. And that's a nutritional dose.

Because a dosage for animals is still not established. I take into account that a 6 pound hen is only 4% the weight of an average, adult human. Like all medications, colloidal silver can be over used. So it is important, to try and use a proportionate dosage, in relation to the size of the animal.

I don't use the CS as an antibiotic alternative, for internal infections. I have tried it, and much time was lost for the sick hen, with very little improvement. For external wounds and minor infections, it can be used alone. But here again, combining it with another medicine, can achieve better results. I am also cautious of the potential for toxicity, if a hen is on a long term care regimen. For instance, hens with tumors or internal laying. Their treatment can extend for months. But, this would also be excellent for a hen with salpingitis or suspected egg yolk peritonitis, along with an antibiotic.

These are my thoughts and notes on the use of Colloidal Silver for animals, specifically chickens.

God Bless :)
Hi. I have colloidal silver 5ppm spray and colloidal gel with 200ppm and I want to use it for bumble foot stage 1..( just some red spot) for my bird. Do you think the gel is to strong? If yes what gel I have to use? And I have to use the colloidal silver water intern and extern? Or just to spray... ?

You can use either of those externally/topically. The gel will stay put better, I would use that. I've used much stronger ppm's than that topically with no issues. Apply the gel, cover with a small piece of gauze, and wrap the foot. Some small ones respond well to topical treatments, but change wrapping every day or two to keep an eye on it. And it may take a while. If it looks to be getting worse then you may have to switch to a different treatment. I've not had positive results using it orally for bumblefoot, bumblefoot tends to need direct treatment of the lesion to be effective.

Hi. I have colloidal silver 5ppm spray and colloidal gel with 200ppm and I want to use it for bumble foot stage 1..( just some red spot) for my bird. Do you think the gel is to strong? If yes what gel I have to use? And I have to use the colloidal silver water intern and extern? Or just to spray... ?

Stage 1 bumblefoot should heal quickly with the 200 ppm colloidal Silver. You can also just keep it clean, add a little dollop of Neosporin, sterile gauze pad, and a wrapping of self stick gauze and it will heal up just as fast. For a stage 1 bumblefoot, I change the dressing every 3 days or so.

I wouldn't bother with the 5 ppm colloidal spray, as you want to have ample amount of silver particles in the suspension. An effective amount of silver particles can range from at least 20 -30 ppm to higher amounts.

Some birds are prone to bumblefoot and may require other remedies like rubber padding on the perch, a wider perch, and for harsh terrains...shoes may need to be worn periodically.

20201222_143813[1].jpg

God Bless. :)

Back
Top Bottom