Color breeding question

chantels1

Songster
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Black x black should =100% black correct?

So how did I get a partridge chick?

Shipped eggs got 3 black and 1 partridge.

The only way this could occur is if both parents have a copy for e+ wildtype, which can easily hide under eb extended black. The parents likely have some gold or silver leakage which would point to the hidden gene; this is more obvious in cockerels than hens.
Thanks

It happens when people randomly breed or breed birds they either don't know the genetics behind or genetics in general.
A black bird can be genetically 100 different things. Lots of genes in poultry and lots of recessive genes that can go sight unseen.
Nothing wrong with breeding for whatever someone wants to but if someone wants to breed with predictable or at least semi predictable outcomes you have to understand some things about genetics and the genetics in your breeders.

Black x black should =100% black correct?

So how did I get a partridge chick?

Shipped eggs got 3 black and 1 partridge.
What breed? Partidge is quite popular phenotype and the genotype eb is about the most recessive e allele too, some people cross their black lines with eb lines to improve on type and eb will side for generations until it pops out when two E/eb birds are mated to each other

What breed? With shipped eggs you can't always see the parents, so be prepared for a surprise. If they were Silkies, well that's gonna happen because Silkies have so many random things popping up.
They are silkies. So it takes both parents to create a partridge? I have a blue partridge hen. Bred her to my blue roo. Got some partridge babies, does that mean my roo caries the Partridge Gene?

They are silkies. So it takes both parents to create a partridge?
In your case both parents are E/eb, they look all black from the outside but carry the partridge eb allele hidden(Extended black the most dominant e allele, eb partridge is recessive to it) when the parent stock are crossed they have 25% chance of hatching pure partridge eb/eb, 25% E/E and 50% E/eb

I have a blue partridge hen. Bred her to my blue roo. Got some partridge babies, does that mean my roo caries the Partridge Gene?
Yes, your rooster is E/eb, when cross to a pure eb/eb hen the cross will be 50% eb/eb and 50% E/eb..

Back
Top Bottom