Color Changes Columbian Coochins

Tenneesse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Woodbury, Middle Tn
I have 4 Colombian Cochins all white with black tail feathers which is typical. They have varying black speckles on the neck and cape.

The rooster has started to show a caramel tinge that has become almost dominate with the snow white almost evident only on the legs and butt and underside. This color change has been occurring through out the summer. Could it be something leading up to the molt? One hen had the slightest caramel tinge showing down the back of her head. Almost non-distinguishable as this point.

Might what Im seeing on the Rooster be something diet related? They are all very active, healthy good spirited the two hens lay daily with the youngster approaching 4 months very white and healthy her black tail feathers are now showing no signs of this coloration the other hen her mother also no sign.

Im concerned with this change in color with the rooster. Its like he has developed a rust in his feathers. Not unattractive but changing color is puzzling me.

9102011Cowboycolorchange006.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this happen and can you tell me why?

Chilibean shows a slight tinge on the back of her head, hard to tell yet, but Cowboy started out very subtle also

9102011Cowboycolorchange002.jpg

Speckles I'm not seeing any sign yet and she is the sister of Chilibean.

9102011Cowboycolorchange003.jpg

Her hatch, Jazzmin, who is 3 months 10 days old also no sign of the color change

9102011Cowboycolorchange001.jpg

Cowboy was until 3 months ago snowy white with the typical black spotted hackles and tail feather then the color change.

Last edited:
Columbian is a tough variety. There are only a few other varieties to cross into to improve type. Silver laced is one and they are pretty difficult to find in better quality than the columbians so, it's usually buff columbian that wins the bid. What happens is that the gold base of the buff columbian can leak through in future generations of the silver columbians. You can breed out but, it takes time. I can tell at hatch time ... those yellowy chicks that will grow out to be brassy males. It seems to be more of a problem with the boys. I've never seen it in females and haven't had that much in my males so, it looks like you got a ways to go.

Sunlight and corn can do it but, not to that extreme. Shelley in Michigan has nice ones. So does Craig and so do I. If you're looking to improve, seriously... I would contact either of us and buy some eggies for useful birds next year. It also looks like you need much improvement on your sparse columbian pattern. Find a breeder that has a strong black hackle on both male and female and even a female with speckling all down her back would help your birds. Good Luck, they are a beautiful variety
thumbsup.gif

eta: here's a pic of my males .. see how much more black there is in their hackle and saddle. That could be apart of your problem too not that I think about it. If the black was there, you probably wouldn't see much of the yellow
083.jpg

Last edited:
Your feedback really puts my mind to rest and what you said makes a lot of sense. I won't pester you with the genetics of it all and remembering from my Biology II classes years ago most of which I have forgotten I remember breeding randomly can really lead to less than something desirable. From the looks of your birds you have the understanding needed to obtain VERY desirable results. Those guys are beauties.

Looks like my rooster has the Buff gene so I would not want to use him. The hens are GOOD at sitting and they love to stay on the nest when the spirit moves them. I don't see myself pursuing the path of breeder though it sure is tempting. The 2 girls are an egg a day girls and even the little one likes to sit on her moms egg for 5 min like shes practicing which is funny to see. She sits for a few minutes then joins momma back in the yard.

I'll sure contact you if I were to try it. If you would IM me some contact info i could put on file and when my hens get broody again we'll see how I want to do it. Thanks for the great info.

I have cut back on the scratch.

Last edited:
Do you see that stink eye he's giving... not such a good boy. The other one is as sweet as pie. This one will chase you around the barnyard... not a very nice disposition for a cochin to have. Hopefully, his sons won't carry on that part of his legacy
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom