Color: comb, wattle, beak, shanks

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I have lavender orpington- bought from one of those famous bins at TSC. She's friendly and acts healthy. She's nowhere near the bottom of the pecking order, absolutely no signs of distress.

One thing sets her apart from the other birds- her comb color. It's grey. Her comb is grey. Her beak is grey. Her wattles (almost nonexistent) are grey. Her shanks are grey. It all looks like it blends in with her skin color. She's been like this since she was a chick, but I didn't think anything of it because she seems fine.

None of my other birds are like this.

I read up on how nutrition can play a part in the bird's comb color, but my bird looks nothing like any pictures or descriptions I've come across. It's not spotty or pale, and she's too young to lay.

Beyond color, there is nothing that seems out of the ordinary.
Any thoughts?

20190821_141627.jpg

Last edited:
That’s really strange. I wouldn’t think diet would cause skin like that.

And if it was mixed with silky I think it would be obvious.

Is a mutation out of the range of possibilities? I’d breed her to see what’s going on.

That’s really strange. I wouldn’t think diet would cause skin like that.

And if it was mixed with silky I think it would be obvious.

Is a mutation out of the range of possibilities? I’d breed her to see what’s going on.
I didn't intend to breed her, but I am really curious about this. Maybe there is some breeding impurities or, as you mentioned, mutation.

Back
Top Bottom