Color dyed chicks?

I am NOT judging or being critical in any way....I am just very curious....why??? Why, when chickens come in SO many naturally beautiful colors would you want to dye them???

I definitely agree. But it's someone's personal opinion. I agree that Chickens are beautiful the way they are, I would love for them to stay that way. But many people disagree with this, so I just think it's up to you IF it's legal. I will never dye my Chickens though, just saying! :)

Many, many years ago my sister and I both got dyed chicks one Easter. Back then, they said it was dyed with "food coloring" and was safe for the birds. We lived in another state and were visiting our grandparent's for Easter so they ended up keeping the chicks for us because we were living in a townhouse and pets were forbidden in the complex.

Anyway, they grew up to be beautiful chickens and provided my grandparent's with eggs for several years. We spent a lot of time visiting with my grandparent's so we also got to visit our chickens frequently.

My point is, many times these dyed chicks do end up in nice and loving homes and are well-cared for throughout their natural lives.

Would I buy a dyed chick now for my grandkids some Easter? Probably. Because I know these too, like mine and my sisters, will end up well-cared for and loved.

its illegal simply because of the novelty factor. dyed chicks sell better to the "novelty" crowd...so to put a stop to this they made it illegal in many places to sell dyed animals (theres also ruels reguarding dying yoru own animals and those realy bugg me)

Personally as long as its not harming the animal in any way (done with FOOD SAFE dyes) in a manner thats not stressfull to the animal then i have no problem with it.

ive dyed my dog in the past, we used to do it to raise money for breast cancer reaserch! shes used to baths and having to sit with some conditioner on her fur so the dye process (mixing koolaid powder with her normal conditioner) was no more stressfull than giving her a bath. it didnt cause any damge to the coat or skin, no odor o residue and she would stay pink in various shaded for about a month before it faded out completly...
i have NO problems with this...

i do have problems with dyed chicks marketed to kids as cute easter gifts as impulse buys however because people dont think things through and when theyre no longer cute pink and blue fluffballs but big chickens who need a coop and oh btw are illegal in your town or "hey its a boy!" there no longer wanted and just get dumped ect and im 100% against the sale of ANY living creature as a novelty...kids need to be taught you want this animal you take care of it for its entire life, pets are not disposable...

so im not against dying animals...(again assuming its done safely)
But i am against dying animals soley to sell them as novelty gifts to perpetuate the ever growing problem of abandoned "PETS" "because the kids got bored"

Back
Top Bottom