Color Experts: What Is This?

Rujzin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 9, 2016
Missouri
This chick hatched out of a Cubalaya project pen. I wish I could tell you more about its color background. Mom was either a black or blue Cubalaya. The blacks and blues are from a Wheaten flock so the odds are very good they carry Wheaten. Cubalaya-Wheaten, not regular Wheaten.

Dad was a "something." I picked him up as a barnyard mix. Blue Red Duckwing with a moderately low tail, pea comb, beautiful dark to light gold transition on his hackles. They think he had American Game in his background and he had a somewhat gamey personality.

No sign of mottling, lacing, barring, etc in the rooster.

Most of the chicks coming out of this hatch have been black, blue, Duckwing, possibly a partridge, and a Wheaten.

And this. What is this? A chimera? All pictures are on the same chick and out of 30 or so that have hatched so far this is the only one that looks this way.

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_115307~3.jpg
    IMG_20230628_115307~3.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20230628_115313~2.jpg
    IMG_20230628_115313~2.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230628_115310~2.jpg
    IMG_20230628_115310~2.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230628_115322~2.jpg
    IMG_20230628_115322~2.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230628_115336~2.jpg
    IMG_20230628_115336~2.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 45
It looks really cool, but I don’t know. Maybe it is a somatic mutation that is preventing the pigment from being “turned on” in areas?
Also, can I see the dad? I just think your description sounds pretty and I want to see the pretty bird.

Sadly I sold him a couple of weeks ago. I've been cycling out a new rooster every month or so this year just for fun in this pen. This chick was out of the last round that hatched from him. I was hoping he was Wheaten based. When I got Duckwing chicks he moved along.

Then this hatched and I'm now kicking myself.

I've never seen this in juvenile or adult feathering.

This chick hatched out of a Cubalaya project pen. I wish I could tell you more about its color background. Mom was either a black or blue Cubalaya. The blacks and blues are from a Wheaten flock so the odds are very good they carry Wheaten. Cubalaya-Wheaten, not regular Wheaten.

Dad was a "something." I picked him up as a barnyard mix. Blue Red Duckwing with a moderately low tail, pea comb, beautiful dark to light gold transition on his hackles. They think he had American Game in his background and he had a somewhat gamey personality.

No sign of mottling, lacing, barring, etc in the rooster.

Most of the chicks coming out of this hatch have been black, blue, Duckwing, possibly a partridge, and a Wheaten.

And this. What is this? A chimera? All pictures are on the same chick and out of 30 or so that have hatched so far this is the only one that looks this way.
Wow, I've never seen coloring like that before.
Absolutely stunning!

I don’t think I’ve seen a chick like that, though it does remind me of this hen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-have-a-mixed-flock-but-this-one’s-unique.1557937/post-26400307.
The adult plumage looks like it matches her chick down.

She may have to become a house chicken. If she is actually rare - or the mythical pied chicken - then she is destined to die of a dumb accident. Drowning in a teaspoon of water, hanging herself on chicken wire. And I know for a fact that rare chickens are more delicious to owls, Foxes, raccoons and hawks.

Back
Top Bottom