Color generics for muscovy

Solid white?

That doesn't make sense, given that lilac bred to white should yield all pied ducklings only. If she's white, then her mother must have been pied or white. Your original duck that's pictured doesn't appear to be either - which means she can't have been the mother.

That's not to say you can't still make blue fawn ducks using the drakes you have now - you definitely can. But it's going to be harder and take multiple generations, depending on what color genetics are happening with your white hen. White masks all, so it's impossible to say what color genetics she has going on.

I would start by breeding her to your drake that's split to chocolate. Keep the chocolate pied females for the next cross. If you get lucky, the white hen might be genetically blue. That would make everything much easier.
Maybe it's a fluke? I had the two girls hatch out a white baby once. I don't know who the father was but the mother was either Autumn (chocolate hatchmate of violet) or Violet.

Maybe it's a fluke? I had the two girls hatch out a white baby once. I don't know who the father was but the mother was either Autumn (chocolate hatchmate of violet) or Violet.

The way White works is, one copy of white makes a duck pied. Two copies makes it solid white. So, in order to produce solid white, each parent has to be at least pied (carrying one copy of white). Of course the parents could be white as well, but they would definitely have to be at least pied. I'd bet another duck laid an egg in their nest, and they weren't actually the biological mothers of the white duckling.

Do you have other female muscovies? Depending on what colors you have, it's possible that it would be easier for you to breed blue fawn babies using another of your ducks instead of the white female.

The way White works is, one copy of white makes a duck pied. Two copies makes it solid white. So, in order to produce solid white, each parent has to be at least pied (carrying one copy of white). Of course the parents could be white as well, but they would definitely have to be at least pied. I'd bet another duck laid an egg in their nest, and they weren't actually the biological mothers of the white duckling.

Do you have other female muscovies? Depending on what colors you have, it's possible that it would be easier for you to breed blue fawn babies using another of your ducks instead of the white female.
I could maybe use Autumn who is chocolate. The other female I have is B flat who is a black and white pied.

I could maybe use Autumn who is chocolate. The other female I have is B flat who is a black and white pied.

Autumn's your best bet - breed her to the blue drake. Use a resulting blue male, which will be split to chocolate, and breed him back to Autumn. 25% of the ducklings from that breeding will be blue fawn :)

Back
Top Bottom