Color genetics help please!

jnc5815

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
Cadiz Ky
I have a lavender orpington rooster the last dew fays ive been hatching eggs from my flock. I have lavender orpington rooster over these hens:
Rhode island red
Red sex link
White silkie
California white

So far, all chicks have hatched black with the exception of the california white and the red sex link. I know pretty much nothing about chicke. Genetics so help would be appreciated. Woyld my lav rooster produce black chicks in these breeds?

Lavender is caused by a recessive gene. Your rooster is basically a solid black, with two copies of the lavender gene diluting that black to a pale grey. Solid black is the most dominant 'pattern'. All of his chicks will inherit this dominant pattern, that will override just about everything else.
White Silkies are recessive white. Like your rooster, this hen is genetically solid black, with two copies of recessive white modifying the black color.
Both the red sexlink and the California white have at least one gene for Dominant white. This means only a single copy is needed to change all the black pigment into white.

Now it makes sense. Thank you. I know genetics and how they work just nothing about what traits are recessive or dominant in poultry. Thank you for explaining that for me.
So the only way to get lavender is to breed lav to lav or lav to a lav carrier?
And i can never get a lavender silkie from this pair? (So disappointing)

Back
Top Bottom