Color genetics thread.

Pics
Okay thank you! That will be a pretty color. Why would the golden laced cause leakage with black? I'm interested in color genetics, but pretty new to learning about them.

Thanks!

Okay thank you!  That will be a pretty color.  Why would the golden laced cause leakage with black?  I'm interested in color genetics, but pretty new to learning about them.  

Thanks!  

I'm not a expert by any means. This is just based in what I've seen in my own birds.

The best I understand is that a gold laced chicken is actually black and has gold lace. Genetics experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
So when you breed black to gold laced then you get black and black doesn't cover the gold completely and it shows up mostly in the neck and wings.
Like I said not an expert so someone may come along and correct me.

Hi, I have some barn yard mixes in the incubator, what would black and golden laced make together? Would the black cover the laced? Would they be slits, or just a muddled color? Thanks
You do not say which sex is gold laced . It makes a difference as gold is sex linked . If the rooster is black the pullets will be black and the cockerels black with some gold leakage . Much the same look if the rooster is gold laced and the hens black . The pullets in this case would carry gold but may still be mostly black . Cockerels black with gold leakage .

Lacing is a result of several separate genes with a pair being 'linked'(like pea and O blue egg gene).

The main genes for lacing are: Pg, Ml, Co, Db.. Pattern, Melanotic, Columbian, Dark brown(down).

Most laced are either on ER(Birchen) or eb(Dark brown/partridge). Wyandottes are on eb, that is why they have the black tails.... Sebrights, Polish are on ER- that is why they have laced tails.

As for black chickens, there is not a single gene that makes them solid black. Most have one of either main crow winged(no triangle of color on the secondaries) genes- E- Extended black or ER- Birchen. E makes them 'blacker' on average but they still leak some color on the hackles at the least with Birchen usually having a little more color- on hackles, saddle plus "lacing" on the neck/breast(it is not the same lacing as above though!). So a solid black chicken are actually E or ER with 'helper genes' than turn them even blacker by melanizing the colored areas.

Both E and ER are dominant over duckwinged colors(red duckwing, dark brown, wheaten, partridge...)

That is why if you cross a black chicken with a colored chicken, the crosses come out mostly black but with variable color leaking. The black is 'dominant' but since the cross is not pure for all those 'black helper genes' so the color bleeds through.... this is why black sexlinks are so generally so similar, they are a RIR over barred rocks(black chicken with barring added)

So if you cross a black with a gold laced wyandotte, the result is usually mostly black with some color leaking, because this is really a dark brown crossed with a black.

You do not say which sex is gold laced . It makes a difference as gold is sex linked . If the rooster is black the pullets will be black and the cockerels black with some gold leakage . Much the same look if the rooster is gold laced and the hens black . The pullets in this case would carry gold but may still be mostly black . Cockerels black with gold leakage .
Oh sorry about that. The Rooster is black and a few of the hens are gold laced. So any pullets will be pure black like the rooster?

I'm not a expert by any means. This is just based in what I've seen in my own birds.

The best I understand is that a gold laced chicken is actually black and has gold lace. Genetics experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
So when you breed black to gold laced then you get black and black doesn't cover the gold completely and it shows up mostly in the neck and wings.
Like I said not an expert so someone may come along and correct me.
Interesting. Thank you!

I don;t know if you can say this is a sex linked mating. Blacks can be gold or silver, you just can't tell by looking at them unless they happen to leak.

Leaky males and black females in my experience has been usually linked to E.. crosses with birchens tend to give rather leaky birds in both sexes. This is far from universal though.

The best I understand is that a gold laced chicken is actually black and has gold lace.

This really only applies to birds with laced tails, like sebrights and polish. They are birchen, one of the main genes used in making solid blacks.

Laced Wyandottes are not black at all. If you removed all their lacing genes, they would be a plain partridge color. For reasons related to this, they cannot get laced tails.

Back
Top Bottom