Color genetics thread.

Yes, that is very true and smart. The reason that happens like that is the fact that they just put a rooster in with a hen with no thought of the standard. Well they do breed for egg production I believe.

I sure hoping you can help with this- can't seem to find a good answer to these questions.

In Black Copper Marans, if you breed a BCM with another BCM split with Wheaten, you will get (I believe it is...) 3 out of 4 chicks are (pure) BCM, and one that is Wheaten (or, split for Wheaten.).

Does the same testing of Extended Black have such and such amount of chicks are correct, and such and such amount of chicks are eb also hold true for Extended black? Or, do all chicks automatically become Extended Black? (Gene too dominate?)

Is there a true, no-fail test for Extended black like there is to determine Wheaten in the genes?

One more thing- what is duckwing (in regards to BCM)? Is this just regarding the wing triangle color? (If it is black, it is crow wing?)

Sorry if this is too many questions- these have been bothering me for a long while. Very grateful for your time and consideration.

I sure hoping you can help with this- can't seem to find a good answer to these questions.

In Black Copper Marans, if you breed a BCM with another BCM split with Wheaten, you will get (I believe it is...) 3 out of 4 chicks are (pure) BCM, and one that is Wheaten (or, split for Wheaten.). 

Does the same testing of Extended Black have such and such amount of chicks are correct, and such and such amount of chicks are eb also hold true for Extended black? Or, do all chicks automatically become Extended Black? (Gene too dominate?) 

Is there a true, no-fail test for Extended black like there is to determine Wheaten in the genes?

One more thing- what is duckwing (in regards to BCM)? Is this just regarding the wing triangle color? (If it is black, it is crow wing?)

Sorry if this is too many questions- these have been bothering me for a long while. Very grateful for your time and consideration. 
These are the kinda things I am trying to figure out, so I don't know.

Sorry if this is too many questions- these have been bothering me for a long while. Very grateful for your time and consideration.

BCM * wheaten: no only 2 out of 4 chicks would be pure BCM and none would be wheaten looking

Same for Extended black and e^b

I don't know of any non fail wheaten test. What test do you mean?

Duckwing is nowadays used to indicate the presence of a groundcolored wing triangle. Groundcolor being silver, cream, gold or red, not black or a dilution thereof (blue, chocolate, lavender etc...)

Punnett squares might help you understand the percentages

BCM * wheaten: no only 2 out of 4 chicks would be pure BCM and none would be wheaten looking

Same for Extended black and e^b

I don't know of any non fail wheaten test. What test do you mean?

Duckwing is nowadays used to indicate the presence of a groundcolored wing triangle. Groundcolor being silver, cream, gold or red, not black or a dilution thereof (blue, chocolate, lavender etc...)

Punnett squares might help you understand the percentages

Thank you so kindly for replying. Thank you for the suggestion of Punnett squares, I will research that. And thank you for the Duckwing explanation- groundcolor= duck wing, black= crow wing in BCM.

We had purchased a rooster back in Jan who tested positive for Wheaten (from the Wheaten test below.). Some of the chicks tested were nearly white, but some were golden. I just couldn't recall if it was one or more out of each in four were blondes. We knew within the first four chicks he'd failed the test, but we did the full amount in case there was an earlier mixup, but there wasn't... lol

Here's the test to determine if there's Wheaten present in a BCM adult (Male or female:)

Separate or trapnest or out chicken to be tested, then, (if it is a hen to be tested, clear out previous rooster if any- for two weeks) breed the hen or cockbird to a Wheaten gene based bird that is not black. (We used RIR. One can use Wheaten Americaunas, etc.)

One should test at least 20 eggs to be certain, but if any blonde or white chicks ever show up, then there is Wheaten present in that individual. There shouldn't be any other color than black, and the chicks should look mostly alike each other- no white on faces, but a bit of white on chest and belly... mostly looking like BCM. Breakthrough red on wings a few days after. Yellow skin shanks, and some chicks show partial shank feathers.

I was hoping there might be a test like this to sort out extended black- as you say some should be pure BCM.
With our one black BCM hen we believe is extended black, we found they can be difficult to sort through as some birds look just deep black green with slightly paler shanks, some with overly colored feathers- and those are the easiest to spot. Out of three sons (after we Wheaten tested the hen) she had only one son that looked BCM and correct, like his father. The females and the rest of her brood look exactly like her. (However, she may have one daughter with a slight hackle now.)

So, at least I know that there may be a possibility that that one son may be pure. It just would be good if there was a positive way to know for sure, but it just would be nice if we didn't have to wait for him to mature, test mate a correct hen, then grow out his young to tell if he's actually one of the young that is not extended black.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a color genetic question related to recessive white. I raise Langshans in black, blue, and white and am curious about any minor role that recessive white might play in the color of both black and blue birds. I have heard rumors that having a copy of the recessive white gene in the black bird helps to improve the green sheen. I also heard it is beneficial to have in blue birds, but I don't remember why. Is there any truth to this? I so not know enough about color genetics to work it out on my own. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom