Color genetics thread.

Pics
He is a Golden Sebright mix . Only 1 gene for lacing . His dad was likely the Sebright as he does not have slate legs .

Lacing is not a single gene thing. Requires Pg, Ml, Co plus Db for sebrights in particular.

His legs look yellow in picture.. yellow skin is recessive, so it cannot show up in a sebright cross.

These are half Sebright . Male has white legs female slate . Dad was Sebright . Yes I know slate legs are not sex linked . It is the inhibitor that is . Still behaves the same . I enlarged the other rooster and legs look white to me . Yes 1 copy of all the genes you listed . I took the short answer .

Lacing is not a single gene thing. Requires Pg, Ml, Co plus Db for sebrights in particular.

His legs look yellow in picture.. yellow skin is recessive, so it cannot show up in a sebright  cross.

I have a lot to catch up on gene wise - i'm so impressed! He was sold as a Serama egg so there must have been a little mix somewhere in the lines. His legs are yellow & obviously is missing the beautiful Sebright comb. Never would have guessed!

I have a lot to catch up on gene wise - i'm so impressed! He was sold as a Serama egg so there must have been a little mix somewhere in the lines. His legs are yellow & obviously is missing the beautiful Sebright comb. Never would have guessed!

Him being henny feathered was also a major clue, as sebrights are the most common henny feathered bantam breed, so.. Thanks for confirmation on yellow legs.

The truth is, lacing is a complicated subject and it was obvious to me the bird was a mix(meaning I could not be sure at all what genetics he may or may not have) rather than a sebright cross(lack of rose plus yellow legs are the clinchers), that;s why I was deliberately short in my answer. There is more than one way to make partial lacing like that.. for example, pure Pg plus Co and none of the other mentioned genes can make partial lacing.... so will something like a dose of Pg-Ml plus a dose of Pg without Ml. There are other combinations that can look more like complete yet not perfect lacing however for genetic reasons will not breed true unless 'genetically fixed' by bringing in the proper genetics. I learned this the hard way and hands on.

Another more obscure reason is I doubt the rooster has ER- called birchen in the hobby. Birchen makes chicks and adults mostly black(birchen and brown red modern games are good examples) yet ironically if you add Db plus the genes necessary for lacing, it will somehow turn them into the sebright and laced polish pattern all over, including the tail.

Wyandottes have the same lacing genes, however they are on eb(partridge) and don't need Db... this is also why they are laced only on their bodies, with their tails staying solid black.

So lacing is pretty complicated.. and hard to explain.

Last edited:
I'm having random white chicks pop up with my Marans crosses.

When crossing My golden cuckoo marans rooster to a black copper marans to recreate a new line, all the chicks are 'correct'. I've hatched about 50 so far and every one is barred.

Rooster in all the pairings:

Black copper hen:

Example of 'correct' single barred marans from the above pairing:

When I crossed my Golden cuckoo rooster to this hen, I ended up with a white chick. I'm trying for olive eggers.
Hen:

Chick at hatch:

Chick now, with siblings from same hatch:

I paired the rooster with this hen for more olive eggers:

Ended up with another white chick, that had spots in its down. Chick now:

I then paired my rooster with this F2 Black copper olive egger:

The first egg to hatch today:

And this white chick, which has darker spots too:

Does that mean the the rooster is carrying this? Am I just lucky that the pairings with the black copper didn't give any white? The 2 white ones are pullets if that makes a difference.

After contacting the individual that I got the black copper olive egger from, she used wheaten Ameraucanas to create her, would this explain the whites in the last hatch? I got another one just now.

Back
Top Bottom