Color genetics thread.

Pics
it sounds like your red sex link carries dominant white, If this is so, then some of the chicks will be white or white with black spots. The adult females
will be white with some red on their bodies. The red usually shows the most on the head and hackles and decreases toward the tail end of the bird. The white males may or may not show red on the shoulders and back. The rest of the adult offspring will be black and showing red. The amount of red the offspring show can vary.

males may look like the male below

Last edited:
I am very unfamiliar with chicken color genetics. I have 2 unrelated hens I am curious about. The first I am fairly certain is a a blue splash. She is white with blue and black feathers and came off a yard with a lot of blues. Actually the following hen is the one I am curious about: She is white with only black feathers splashed about. Is there any way to tell (other than breeding) whether she is het. dominant white or is she a blue splash?

Also attaching a picture of a Pumpkin Oriental cock. He has white tail and wing feathers, is he het. dom. white? Also, what genes are likely responsible for his pumpkin color?

Last edited:

From my experience, I would say the female is heterozygous dominant white, Is she similar to the bird above. From my experience, splash birds are not as clean a white as dominant white they are still a little gray in color. Others may have a different experience.

Pumpkins are a mixed bag of genes. They vary greatly in color-so the genes in your bird may be different than another bird.

Your male most likely carries dominant white, is wheaten at the E locus, carries sex linked gold, the dark brown gene and the columbian gene. The wheaten in some game birds is not the same wheaten found in other breeds. The wheaten in your game is most likely dark wheaten due to a gene acting upon the wheaten gene.

Thanks! I should have taken a close up of his feathers. Especially in the hackle, the feathers are white underneath, closer to the skin,with pumpkin tips.

The hen does look very similar to the one in your picture.

I am very unfamiliar with chicken color genetics. I have 2 unrelated hens I am curious about. The first I am fairly certain is a a blue splash. She is white with blue and black feathers and came off a yard with a lot of blues. Actually the following hen is the one I am curious about: She is white with only black feathers splashed about. Is there any way to tell (other than breeding) whether she is het. dominant white or is she a blue splash?

Also attaching a picture of a Pumpkin Oriental cock. He has white tail and wing feathers, is he het. dom. white? Also, what genes are likely responsible for his pumpkin color?
he's pretty. what's his breed?

The columbian pattern gene restricts black 'patterning' to the neck, primaries, hackles, and tail feathers. It's a restricting/inhibiting gene. A bird can be carrying other pattern genes, but the columbian gene will only allow that pattern to express in certain locations. For example, just look at a Delaware. They have both the barring pattern and the columbian gene. It's the columbian gene that prevents them from being completely barred.

I understand what you are saying but with genes, an inhibitor prevents the production of a product that will allow for the expression of a gene or causes the production of a product that somehow blocks a metabolic pathway, There are also other ways that inhibitors work. In the literature, the columbian gene is a eumelanin restrictor. There are inhibiting genes, for example, dermal melanin inhibitor. 

In the example you gave, the barring gene is still being expressed but is only visible as barring in the areas that are black.The barring gene is still working in the white areas of the chicken ( due to expression of the silver gene)The barring gene is not actually being inhibited because the barring can still be seen in the tail and hackles of the bird. 

If the columbian gene was a true inhibitor of the barring gene, then some barred rocks that carry the columbian gene would not be barred but they are certainly barred. See reference below.

Jeffrey, E. P. 1947. Plumage colour genes in White PlymouthRocks and WhiteWyandottes. PoultrySci.,26;526-528

Also in the case of rhode bars, the columbian gene does not inhibit the expression of barring in the black tailed red phenotype (rhode island red). Rhode bars are basically a barred rhode island red.

I know it may seem as if I am being a jerk, but it is important to stick with the terminology in the literature. It can be very confusing. 

I crossed a White Wyandotte cock with two of my Columbian Wyandotte hens to bring in better combs, yellow leg color and size. Not only did I get Columbian chicks, I got a high percentage of Barred Wyandotte chicks....all cockerels except for one Barred pullet. I'll breed the CW pullets to a CW cock.
In breeding a White Wyandotte hen to a Columbian Wyandotte cock, I also got Barred chicks as well as Columbian chicks...these Barred were also all cockerels.

Last edited:
anyone have any experience with australian standard OEG colours? I am working on some crele and cuckoo araucanas which in aus are judged under oeg colours and i have this little guy he's out of the roo pictured below and one of the blue hens in the other pic. Not sure if hes just a mixed colour or not. Is he a red cuckoo or crele?

Back
Top Bottom