Color genetics thread.

Since we have narrowed down the father to the buff brahma which is gold (s+/s+), the mother has to be Silver. (S/-). Which may be hidden in varieties that show no red/gold unless there is leakage (like your blue cochin rooster, if he was Silver the leakage area should be creamy to white not gold).

This doesn't narrow down the choices much, just eliminates any of your pullets/hens that aren't Silver and can't hide Silver, like the partridge for example.

The Barred cochin (B/-) may also be eliminated if the chick doesn't have Barring, because it would pass the Barring gene to its sons. They would be B/b+.

The chick has gotten some barred feathers...?

Some on the tail and neck
If that chick is showing Barring then the Barred cochin hen must be its mother, this means she is Silver also.

Only a couple of the feathers are barred... so that means the buff brahma is the father
Most, if not all of the feathers that have black on them should be showing Barring if the chick has that gene. In this case with the Columbian gene from the Brahma restricting black to the neck and tail and maybe some flight feathers, those are the feathers that should show Barring.

Most, if not all of the feathers that have black on them should be showing Barring if the chick has that gene. In this case with the Columbian gene from the Brahma restricting black to the neck and tail and maybe some flight feathers, those are the feathers that should show Barring.

Maybe they will get more barred as he matures, this is so cool!

The barred feather have a white tip/outline

You said my bared hen is silver, is that what she is supposed to be?

He just jumped on my hand as I'm typing this. I'm in the coop.

On his wing feathers one half is white and one half is barred.

Wait. I was told my hen would produce sex-linked chicks, this chick did not have a white spot on its head?
I have two more of my barred hens eggs in the incubator that will hatch soon

Last edited:
Maybe they will get more barred as he matures, this is so cool!

Barring doesnt work that way. They feather in barred they dont get more as they age.

The barred feather have a white tip/outline

You said my bared hen is silver, is that what she is supposed to be?

He just jumped on my hand as I'm typing this. I'm in the coop.

On his wing feathers one half is white and one half is barred.

Wait. I was told my hen would produce sex-linked chicks, this chick did not have a white spot on its head?
I have two more of this hens eggs in the incubator that will hatch soon

That chick isnt barred.
And you are right. Your barred hen would have barred male chicks with a headspot.
Your barred hen isnt its mother.

Barring doesnt work that way. They feather in barred they dont get more as they age.
That chick isnt barred.
And you are right. Your barred hen would have barred male chicks with a headspot.
Your barred hen isnt its mother.

I meant that the barring would get more defined. Not more barred feathers :/

If the barred hen isn't its mother then how are some of its feathers barred? It's only barred if the barring is all over?

I was thinking he would be colored somewhat like a Delaware chicken

Last edited:
I meant that the barring would get more defined. Not more barred feathers :/

If the barred hen isn't its mother then how are some of its feathers barred? It's only barred if the barring is all over?

I was thinking he would be colored somewhat like a Delaware chicken

Barring doesnt change. They feather in barred and it doesnt change.
The chick youre showing is not barred. That isnt barring.
The rooster is barred. The chick will not look like the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom