Is this little white one a really not splashy splash? Her legs are pink and she has one or two black spots.

20230702_202653~2.jpg 20230703_184223.jpg 20230703_184210.jpg

Is this little white one a really not splashy splash? Her legs are pink and she has one or two black spots.

View attachment 3565049View attachment 3565051View attachment 3565053
I think she is more likely to be genetically black, turned white by the gene Dominant White, which is a bit leaky when a chicken has only one copy of the gene.

(The splashes are also genetically black, but they have two copies of the blue gene turning the black into splash. I just don't think it could make a bird as thoroughly white as this one.)

I think she is more likely to be genetically black, turned white by the gene Dominant White, which is a bit leaky when a chicken has only one copy of the gene.

(The splashes are also genetically black, but they have two copies of the blue gene turning the black into splash. I just don't think it could make a bird as thoroughly white as this one.)

Thank you!

It honestly looks like they've run out of ink. 😂 I have one with lots of splash, one kind of splash, and then this lil lady.

Thank you!

It honestly looks like they've run out of ink. 😂 I have one with lots of splash, one kind of splash, and then this lil lady.
Running out of ink is a pretty good description :) The blue/splash gene does mess up something about the process that makes the "ink" (black pigment), and the Dominant White gene does too.

Is this black one laced, or an alternative Version of Cuckoo? Her brother beside her is definitely Cuckoo but I'm having a hard time with her. It looks like she's barred on her neck but it turns into lacing?

Attachments

• 20230802_182443.jpg
    20230802_182443.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230802_182459.jpg
    20230802_182459.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 7
Is this black one laced, or an alternative Version of Cuckoo? Her brother beside her is definitely Cuckoo but I'm having a hard time with her. It looks like she's barred on her neck but it turns into lacing?

Hmm. I see why you are confused. She might actually be both.

The barring gene (causes barred, crele, or cuckoo) puts white bars across whatever other pattern a chicken has. So a chicken can have lacing or some other pattern, and then white barring over that. That can give some really odd-looking effects sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom