Color of combs and wattles changing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christina1982, Jul 24, 2011.

1. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I have a question...

Is there a reason that my White Rock and Leg Horn combs and wattles vary from a bright red to a lighter shade of red during the day?

It's not everyday but you can tell the difference. They are both 20 weeks and no eggs yet.

Also, why do people say "I've noticed they (chickens) starting squatting." What does that mean lol????

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yes their combs can vary in color. You just dont want to see really pale as that can indicate a problem. When a chicken squats its usually a couple of weeks before egg laying. They are submitting and are ready to mate. The squat looks like they crouch down real low and hold their wings out at the sides. If you scratch their backs and shake their tail they will think they mated and get up and shake. Its kinda cute.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My chickens combs will change colour when they are stressed? [​IMG]

4. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the help!

I hope their not stressed but if they are I'm pretty sure it the neighborhood kids agitating them [​IMG] .

5. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I have 2 second generation RSL that are apx 17 weeks old whose wattles and combs change color throughout the day. One has very red wattles and comb, although the comb is not very large, but the red fades back to dark pink to light pink throughout the day. I will be standing there watching her and can actually watch the color fade out and then get dark red again. They both have become very vocal over the last week and my 19 week old rooster has been mounting them but neither of them submit to him or do the squat and no eggs from them as of yet.

It has been extremely hot here and they have been drinking a lot more water, not sure if that is having an effect or not but I did notice that when she goes to get a drink she will be dark red and as she drinks her color fades. They free range all day and usually only eat their feed and treats in the evening when they are heading back to their run and coop for the night so I think their diet is okay. They have been digging deep holes in the dirt to lay in to cool off, much deeper holes then usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by