Color, Quality, and thoughts about my Cochin Bantam Rooster

bantamgenetics23

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2023
Hi all!

I am posting a photo of my Cochin Bantam Rooster. I am just getting started with Mille Fleurs, Calicos, and Mottled bantam cochins. Could you all give me some advice on color of this guy? Blue Mille was thrown around from someone I know but I wasn't sure if that was the case. He does have some red in his saddle feathers but it is pretty minimal. Also, some tips on his type and overall quality would be appreciated. Like I said I am just getting started and have very minimal knowledge but I am wanting to learn!

Attachments

• Cochin.jpg
    Cochin.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 42
He's Blue Mottled. Blue Mille Fleur should be more reddish-gold overall with a white tip to each feather and a blue band between those colors.

How old is he? He looks pretty young still to me. I have learned not to really start judging my boys until 8 or 9 months of age at the very earliest, as I've found that before then they're all over the darn place and it's easy to write off a bird that will blossom if given enough time. What I can say from what I see now is that he's too upright in stance and too skinny. A Cochin should be super round and sort of low to the ground, like a walking ball of feathers essentially, and when standing normally the head should be at just about the same height as the top of the tail, or at least close to it. This is the artwork of Cochin bantams in my ABA standard, to give you an idea of what you're looking for (it doesn't want to load in the actual post, but this link should take you to the image) : https://www.cacklehatchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/img279.jpg

He's Blue Mottled. Blue Mille Fleur should be more reddish-gold overall with a white tip to each feather and a blue band between those colors.

How old is he? He looks pretty young still to me. I have learned not to really start judging my boys until 8 or 9 months of age at the very earliest, as I've found that before then they're all over the darn place and it's easy to write off a bird that will blossom if given enough time. What I can say from what I see now is that he's too upright in stance and too skinny. A Cochin should be super round and sort of low to the ground, like a walking ball of feathers essentially, and when standing normally the head should be at just about the same height as the top of the tail, or at least close to it. This is the artwork of Cochin bantams in my ABA standard, to give you an idea of what you're looking for (it doesn't want to load in the actual post, but this link should take you to the image) : https://www.cacklehatchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/img279.jpg
Thank you! I just got him recently and was told he was right at a year old. He was standing pretty alert maybe I should try and get a better picture of him?

Ah, my boys like to do that, too, when I'm trying to get their pictures, the buttheads! 🤭 If you can get a better picture of him in a more natural stance, that would help with assessing him. He looks younger than a year to me, honestly, but of course the person that hatched him would obviously know best on that. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom