Color & sex

Kimmie59

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
This Button Quail is 7 weeks old. I see rust under the tail feathers, not at the vent. The black area has darkened since a baby. What sex is this one?

This Button Quail is 7 weeks old. I see rust under the tail feathers, not at the vent. The black area has darkened since a baby. What sex is this one?
58A1F8B0-4AB8-4242-949E-99265C169BC4.jpeg 9C2118A7-1F93-4307-8F1C-CBC7E5719F00.jpeg

99.9% male if you see rust in the tail feathers. I'm assuming the feathers around the vent are just white? Tuxedos are hard to sex because of that - some of them will have white tails as well, making it almost impossible to sex them based on color. But I've heard of only two instances where a confirmed female had rust colored feathers in the tail.

99.9% male if you see rust in the tail feathers. I'm assuming the feathers around the vent are just white? Tuxedos are hard to sex because of that - some of them will have white tails as well, making it almost impossible to sex them based on color. But I've heard of only two instances where a confirmed female had rust colored feathers in the tail.

Back
Top Bottom