Color sexing Buff Orpingtons 1 day old

BantamAshley

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Syracuse, NY
I have been finding the bellow quoted information on several sites reguarding color sexing Buff Orpingtons at 1 day old. Are there any experienced Buff owners who can verify if this info is true or false?:
Here it is:

“Both New Hampshires and Buff Orpingtons produce buff colored chicks. If one closely observes these chicks it will be noticed that the male chicks will have off-white streaks in the down color at the upper wing joints. Female chicks will often have a brown or black spot on their heads, or even hints of brown lines on their backs. I have found this true for my Buckeye chicks as well, though they are richer in down color.”

I received a shipment of buff Orpington bantams today, and some do have notable spots on their heads. But it seems that if the following advice was true, it would be more common knowledge that the females are darker, and have head spots at birth, and males are lighter, with wing streaks, even if there can be exceptions.

Thank you!

I have been finding the bellow quoted information on several sites reguarding color sexing Buff Orpingtons at 1 day old. Are there any experienced Buff owners who can verify if this info is true or false?:
Here it is:

“Both New Hampshires and Buff Orpingtons produce buff colored chicks. If one closely observes these chicks it will be noticed that the male chicks will have off-white streaks in the down color at the upper wing joints. Female chicks will often have a brown or black spot on their heads, or even hints of brown lines on their backs. I have found this true for my Buckeye chicks as well, though they are richer in down color.”

I received a shipment of buff Orpington bantams today, and some do have notable spots on their heads. But it seems that if the following advice was true, it would be more common knowledge that the females are darker, and have head spots at birth, and males are lighter, with wing streaks, even if there can be exceptions.

Thank you!
did you ever find out about the spots on the head? Tu in advance! The can be wing sexed but only a day old.. maybe a day to 3, but a day for accuracyhttps://animals.mom.me/how-do-you-t...9888801.html?utm_source=dgmodule&utm_medium=1

Last edited:
Feather growth sexing only works if they are genetically programmed to exhibit this trait.
Otherwise, it's random. If these chicks are from a hatchery, it's extremely unlikely that they will feather sex. If they are from a breeder, call and ask if they were bred for it. Again, it's unlikely.
Mary

Feather growth sexing only works if they are genetically programmed to exhibit this trait.
Otherwise, it's random. If these chicks are from a hatchery, it's extremely unlikely that they will feather sex. If they are from a breeder, call and ask if they were bred for it. Again, it's unlikely.
Mary
thank you. we have exhibition birds that can be wing sexed. I was more curious about the dark spots on the head if any one really knows.....

So what was the result? Did the Buff's that you had which had the brown spots turn out to be hens? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom