Colorado

We only have the walls framed (sans egg boxes), but it's a start... they are in our garage until we are ready to "lego-build" them together (hopefully this weekend). Dh is not a carpenter, and I believe this is his first ever framing job. But he's a smart guy, a hard worker, and wants to keep me from having a panic-attack that my chickens will be homeless..... I am pleased with the work so far!

We originally planned to do 6 foot walls, and a basic a-frame roof. We made the first wall before we realized we made it 8 feet tall, lol. After a little brainstorming, we decided not to correct it,a and to go with a saltbox-style instead. THe front (North, where we get the bad weather) wall is the 8'. The back is 6'. The roof will slope on the south side (we have solar panels going up there, and will wire for electricity). I suggested he frame the side walls at 6 feet, for structural stability (see, I am not totally useless), and will deal with the roof line "triangle" later... I want ventilation, and am working on a plan for drop-down flaps in my head (flaps are in the wall, IDEAS are in my head).

So it doesn't look like much to you experts, but it looks like progress to me!

It will be 8x8 with exterior egg boxes; we're leaning toward a dirt floor, with 1/4" wire under the coop, and 2 feet all around the coop and covered run. (Planning a 10x20 run for our 14 chicks.)

Wendell, here's the pics of my boy Perry. The scabs on the comb are from fighting roos, and unfortunately it's worse now because him and Ferb got into a fight over the first girls they've seen in about 4 months. I'm glad I got pictures before the fight. There's no serious damage, but he's not very pretty right now. Please ignore the mess in the background. Our extra living room is also our laundry sorting room and the current gathering spot for all the gardening stuff while we decide what we need or can get rid of.

Perry is not amused. He doesn't understand this weird ground.

Whatcha doing mom?

Turn,

Turn again,

And again,

again, really?

Come on mom, I'm done! I'll break your ear drums!

No seriously, I'll break your ear drums, I'm gonna keep crowing!

He was such a good boy all through this. He was afraid enough of the floor that I could just spin him around and he just went with it.

I think it looks wonderful. My sweetheart & I took the plunge of living together 6 months ago. (We both lost our spouses, of many years, in the last 4 years. We're not ready to say "I do" just yet, no matter how much our kids say they'll plan everything, just leave it up to them. ROFLMAO) My chickens are still at my place. The coop that was supposed to be built last October has not been started. Now they have a lovely home, but it's 15 miles from where we live and during nasty weather not nice to make the drive. Besides, I miss not having them nearby all day. I like the idea of a "panic attack" I might try that. LOL I'm guessing I'll have to go out and start it myself then the guilt trip will set in. After all the eggs are for his farm market that has been in his family since 1880. So, my bator is on lockdown, 6 BB and 35 RIR. I candled last night. I'll be lucky if 5 are viable. Yes it's my first attempt at a bator and its not mine. I hd someone reserve 40 eggs and cancel at the last minute. I borrowed my neighbors Farm Innovator. I read all the problems with the gauges that came with it so I bought one. I have maintained temps from 98 to 101 consistently, and humidity near 40, but there are few eggs that look viable. Waiting for a Genesis 1588 to arrive. I won't set another batch until it does. I'll chalk this up to a learning experience. I have a dozen chicks arriving today. The brooder is all set up in the basement but this morning when I went down it smelled like gas so I am moving things until they find out where the smell is coming from. It doesn't rain that it pours. Sorry for the book. More later.
We only have the walls framed (sans egg boxes), but it's a start... they are in our garage until we are ready to "lego-build" them together (hopefully this weekend). Dh is not a carpenter, and I believe this is his first ever framing job. But he's a smart guy, a hard worker, and wants to keep me from having a panic-attack that my chickens will be homeless..... I am pleased with the work so far! We originally planned to do 6 foot walls, and a basic a-frame roof. We made the first wall before we realized we made it 8 feet tall, lol. After a little brainstorming, we decided not to correct it,a and to go with a saltbox-style instead. THe front (North, where we get the bad weather) wall is the 8'. The back is 6'. The roof will slope on the south side (we have solar panels going up there, and will wire for electricity). I suggested he frame the side walls at 6 feet, for structural stability (see, I am not totally useless), and will deal with the roof line "triangle" later... I want ventilation, and am working on a plan for drop-down flaps in my head (flaps are in the wall, IDEAS are in my head). So it doesn't look like much to you experts, but it looks like progress to me! It will be 8x8 with exterior egg boxes; we're leaning toward a dirt floor, with 1/4" wire under the coop, and 2 feet all around the coop and covered run. (Planning a 10x20 run for our 14 chicks.)

Wendell, here's the pics of my boy Perry. The scabs on the comb are from fighting roos, and unfortunately it's worse now because him and Ferb got into a fight over the first girls they've seen in about 4 months. I'm glad I got pictures before the fight. There's no serious damage, but he's not very pretty right now. Please ignore the mess in the background. Our extra living room is also our laundry sorting room and the current gathering spot for all the gardening stuff while we decide what we need or can get rid of.

Perry is not amused. He doesn't understand this weird ground.

Whatcha doing mom?

Turn,

Turn again,

And again,

again, really?

Come on mom, I'm done! I'll break your ear drums!

No seriously, I'll break your ear drums, I'm gonna keep crowing!

He was such a good boy all through this. He was afraid enough of the floor that I could just spin him around and he just went with it.
Not too bad. How old is he?

We only have the walls framed (sans egg boxes), but it's a start... they are in our garage until we are ready to "lego-build" them together (hopefully this weekend). Dh is not a carpenter, and I believe this is his first ever framing job. But he's a smart guy, a hard worker, and wants to keep me from having a panic-attack that my chickens will be homeless..... I am pleased with the work so far!

We originally planned to do 6 foot walls, and a basic a-frame roof. We made the first wall before we realized we made it 8 feet tall, lol. After a little brainstorming, we decided not to correct it,a and to go with a saltbox-style instead. THe front (North, where we get the bad weather) wall is the 8'. The back is 6'. The roof will slope on the south side (we have solar panels going up there, and will wire for electricity). I suggested he frame the side walls at 6 feet, for structural stability (see, I am not totally useless), and will deal with the roof line "triangle" later... I want ventilation, and am working on a plan for drop-down flaps in my head (flaps are in the wall, IDEAS are in my head).

So it doesn't look like much to you experts, but it looks like progress to me!

It will be 8x8 with exterior egg boxes; we're leaning toward a dirt floor, with 1/4" wire under the coop, and 2 feet all around the coop and covered run. (Planning a 10x20 run for our 14 chicks.)
Progress is still progress!
big_smile.png

Sometimes Beth will just ask what I got done outside rather to try and figure it out.....Most of my buildings were done with a basic drawn out idea, and modified as needed as we went along..... I think yours should work out fine.

Back
Top Bottom