Colorado

yuckyuck.gif

I'm flattered, but I still have a long long way to go before I can even begin to pretend that I know what I'm doing. Although, I do wish I had room for more chickens (audible sigh).

OK kiddos. The coop now has every conceivable crack filled with caulk or (in the people door case) foam tape. There are roosts, skylights, vents, food, water, hay, shavings, fencing, windows, doors, paint and stain. Oh, did I forget chickens! We rounded up the 5 babies and the 2 most hen pecked hens to acclimate before moving the bigger, more bossy, girls in. The little ones are having the time of their lives picking through the scrub oaks in the run and couldn't care less about the new coop. My only child is on summer vacation (in construction management, no less) and was a big help. Also, I got an idea or two from posts by fellow BYC'ers.

Sorry to take up an entire page. I'm just so happy this is almost over! You can click on the pics to see a slide show, or just swing by Franktown for the full tour (and maybe some horsie rides). Bring lots of gifts, I'm not too particular. P

Last edited:
OK kiddos. The coop now has every conceivable crack filled with caulk or (in the people door case) foam tape. There are roosts, skylights, vents, food, water, hay, shavings, fencing, windows, doors, paint and stain. Oh, did I forget chickens! We rounded up the 5 babies and the 2 most hen pecked hens to acclimate before moving the bigger, more bossy, girls in. The little ones are having the time of their lives picking through the scrub oaks in the run and couldn't care less about the new coop. My only child is on summer vacation (in construction management, no less) and was a big help. Also, I got an idea or two from posts by fellow BYC'ers.

Sorry to take up an entire page. I'm just so happy this is almost over! You can click on the pics to see a slide show, or just swing by Franktown for the full tour (and maybe some horsie rides). Bring lots of gifts, I'm not too particular. P

Love it! One question - do you have to climb a ladder to open/close the roof vents? Probably won't need to be closed too often. Very nice job.

Ahhh - that makes sense! I was MISERABLY hot (you know the Movie "Fools Rush In" with Matthew Perry and Selma Hayek? The line, "In case you haven't noticed, the white people are MELTING" kept running through my head). I think High School graduations should be held in December, in hot places
tongue.png
LOL. I am glad I moved to Colorado for my senior year. We moved in September and the heat factor was 114, my poor father who was driving the moving van with no air conditioning. I love my sparkly snow, and my mountain views.

Question... how many of you insulate against the heat? It was 107 in the coop today (but in the 80s outside). I have the thermometer at the top of the interior, so hopefully the ground level wasn't that hot (sand-on-dirt floor helps, I am sure)....

Question... how many of you insulate against the heat? It was 107 in the coop today (but in the 80s outside). I have the thermometer at the top of the interior, so hopefully the ground level wasn't that hot (sand-on-dirt floor helps, I am sure)....
I have insulation in the coop, but it's meant for winter. I don't know if it can protect against heat too.

Back
Top Bottom