Colorado

Do any of you lovely Colorado folks know of any weaner pigs available out herein the SE Plains direction? Looking for 2!
Lots of pigs around right now. The 4-H'ers are buying live stock so there is a lot available. Just check craigslist. Tell them you don't want show stock, just wieners and you won't pay as much.

If you have the time can you list what you have available again... Thanks! I know you had some great egg layers crosses.

I have two hens and 3 roos from the last batch. Of the hens, one is Speckles Sussex/leghorn cross and the other is a Austrolorp/leghorn cross.
This weekend I will have white Silkie to americauna crosses. they should look pretty cute. And also some of Wendles eggs which are Dominiques. He has first pick of that litter however. The rest will be up for grabs. I may keep a couple of each also. I have been trying to dial in my home made incubator and I believe I have it dialed in pretty well. I will find out this weekend. My first hatch rate was a dismal 62% I believe. Then 82% on the next batch. I will find out in the next few days what this hatch rate will be. Thanks for the interest.

Last edited:
I ordered pullets from a local store and they were going to be ready to pick up on Saturday. I have been super excited, well today I got a call saying my chicks were ready to be picked up today! I called back because I was a bit concerned by his use of the word chicks, and the fact that I can't pick up until Saturday due to work commitments. I called the store back and asked how old the birds are and he proudly said "1 day old". Don't get me wrong i'm still excited to get my new babies but i'm totally unprepared to have babies.
Thank goodness my sister (who lives just 2 blocks away) is just moving her birds out to their coop, so I can use her waterer and feeder. Anyone else get surprises like this?

I got home from my first day at work since the appendix incident last sunday and have a first pip. It is one of the dominiques from pen three. I guess it is anxious to get out.

Yesterday was lockdown for us. I actually started it the night before but it took that night to build up the humidity to an acceptable level.
No pips yet. We're trying hatching them upright in the egg carton this time. I'm only worried about the one that has the air cell on the side instead of the top. Worried it will pip on the side and run into the carton.

Incubator update. 5 have piped now. I am betting that i wake up to chicks in the incubator. I just dont know how many at this point. 24 eggs made it to lockdown. I believe 16 out of 18 of wendles eggs. I had a few duds in my silkie americauna crosses. I started with 35 total. 11 didnt make the cut. 2 blood rings from wendles and 9 nonfertile from my own.

I ordered pullets from a local store and they were going to be ready to pick up on Saturday. I have been super excited, well today I got a call saying my chicks were ready to be picked up today! I called back because I was a bit concerned by his use of the word chicks, and the fact that I can't pick up until Saturday due to work commitments. I called the store back and asked how old the birds are and he proudly said "1 day old". Don't get me wrong i'm still excited to get my new babies but i'm totally unprepared to have babies.
Thank goodness my sister (who lives just 2 blocks away) is just moving her birds out to their coop, so I can use her waterer and feeder. Anyone else get surprises like this?

Incubator update. 5 have piped now. I am betting that i wake up to chicks in the incubator. I just dont know how many at this point. 24 eggs made it to lockdown. I believe 16 out of 18 of wendles eggs. I had a few duds in my silkie americauna crosses. I started with 35 total. 11 didnt make the cut. 2 blood rings from wendles and 9 nonfertile from my own.

Back
Top Bottom