Colorado

Most of my family lives in Colorado. I just got back from vising family a couple weeks ago. :welcome
Welciome to the Colorado board.

Also to everyone on here, I had another contact by someone wanting to buy 4 black Australorp pullets. If anyone has these for sale please PM me and I will pass on the contact info.

Thanks, My fellow CO chicken lovers! :D

Last edited:
On no chicken math rules my life. My bf after buying me a 16 week old cream rose comb leghorn sunday now has agreed to let me get a quieted rooster to keep my 9 ladies busy ahem as egg songs are the latest thing... 2 ameracuanas, 5 easter Eggers, 1 splash polish and now the rose comb leghorn... I think he's trying to push off making another coop and enclosed run (we have 2 retired greyhounds Sagan & Oberon, Sagan catches the most squirrels. )

We have caught 4 racoons in the last 2 weeks, for sure a mama snd 3 more babies (yikes!!) But we're catching them as fast as we can. I desperately want silkies, but the chicken guy my bf listens to said no way on getting silkies and said to get myself some cochins and I'm obsessing on frizzles & sizzles & cochins & silkies.

And I would love black french marans too. Now onto waiting for Josephine to get on with it and lay her first egg already she's been singing hard for 2 days now. After watching Jeanette closely for several weeks along with her littermates Bessie and Missy, and Phyllis and Daisy watching closely watchingclose by. Jeanette by the coop door. Should I start my nesting box curtains? It seems like everyone is watching and not laying. Jeanette has stopped laying, but she also seemed to have been sneezing and shaking her head and I separated her out and treated everyone with antibiotics, electrolytes, probiotics, corid, sevin... I think I went way overboard on it tho...but it has been very wet this year.

I garden by the biodynamic/lunar cycles and this was the 1st time in 7+ years I used anything in my garden harder than cold pressed neem oil, so I'm flipped out over my use of sevin dust. We're trying to get prepped for beehives in the upcoming spring abd all the 7 years of biodynamic work kinda.. pfftt

Everything for the chickens. Losing one was heartwrenching. But I'm also wanting to do meat birds soon, maybe in the spring but am not sure about processing them on my property as well, racoon is already an issue.

On no chicken math rules my life. My bf after buying me a 16 week old cream rose comb leghorn sunday now has agreed to let me get a quieted rooster to keep my 9 ladies busy ahem as egg songs are the latest thing... 2 ameracuanas, 5 easter Eggers, 1 splash polish and now the rose comb leghorn... I think he's trying to push off making another coop and enclosed run (we have 2 retired greyhounds Sagan & Oberon, Sagan catches the most squirrels. )

We have caught 4 racoons in the last 2 weeks, for sure a mama snd 3 more babies (yikes!!) But we're catching them as fast as we can. I desperately want silkies, but the chicken guy my bf listens to said no way on getting silkies and said to get myself some cochins and I'm obsessing on frizzles & sizzles & cochins & silkies.

And I would love black french marans too. Now onto waiting for Josephine to get on with it and lay her first egg already she's been singing hard for 2 days now. After watching Jeanette closely for several weeks along with her littermates Bessie and Missy, and Phyllis and Daisy watching closely watchingclose by. Jeanette by the coop door. Should I start my nesting box curtains? It seems like everyone is watching and not laying. Jeanette has stopped laying, but she also seemed to have been sneezing and shaking her head and I separated her out and treated everyone with antibiotics, electrolytes, probiotics, corid, sevin... I think I went way overboard on it tho...but it has been very wet this year.

I garden by the biodynamic/lunar cycles and this was the 1st time in 7+ years I used anything in my garden harder than cold pressed neem oil, so I'm flipped out over my use of sevin dust. We're trying to get prepped for beehives in the upcoming spring abd all the 7 years of biodynamic work kinda.. pfftt

Everything for the chickens. Losing one was heartwrenching. But I'm also wanting to do meat birds soon, maybe in the spring but am not sure about processing them on my property as well, racoon is already an issue.

Hi Double welcome to the Colorado board. Thanks for posting, sounds like you have a lot going on and have some similar desires/wants as us. We strive to be all organic in our gardens, we have three different herbal gardens, veggie and cactus gardens. We eat everything here, nothing goes to waste. We feed our dogs veggies and fruit as well as chickens, so scraps are used up, either as slop or in the form of dog treats. I have been through 2 cervical fusions since 2011 and am on the road to recovery. There was a time when I was on over 10 different medicines for my neck. I can say today, I am on two meds and have solid fusions. It has been a road and a struggle at times to work towards being all natural with my body and what goes into it. Anyway, we strive on being organic and mindful of what we put into our environment, so I understand your fear about Sevin. We have 4 be hives currently, we bartered with a local bee keeper to let him house some hives here in exchange for some honey and beeswax. It is a good way to get some all natural raw honey without the cost if buying hives. We also will probably purchase some at the end of this year so we can have them help our gardens. It is pretty cool and exciting. My bf also has an all natural bacterial remediation business, his product is sprayed on all our gardens the chicken coop and run and the dog poop (we have a lot of poop with 28 chickens and 4 dogs!). The product breaks down all the bad bacteria in the soil and rebuilds the soil web and beneficial microbes in the environment,

We also had a coon visit last night, the dogs alerted us and we have a secure run and coop so we didn't have an issue. However, we will be moving the traps to be around the chicken area.

Anyway, welcome and have fun!

Last edited:
I have a 10 week old Partridge cochin Roo, if you're interested. I've found the cochin Roos to be the quietest, rarely crowing. I enjoy watching the big guys lumbering across the yard.
Silkies are mostly good for broodiness, and tend to get picked on by some large fowl girls. Ours went broody twice in 9 months, and needed her own area for most of that time.
I have also stayed totally natural in my chicken care, until recently when I used sevin dust...and felt horribly guilty about it. I only used it on the chickens inside the barn, and lightly dusting the floor. None outside, because like you, I don't want to be killing off Bees. I'm hoping once I move the shavings to compost, it'll get wet enough to rinse a lot off, before I move it to the garden.

I have a 10 week old Partridge cochin Roo, if you're interested. I've found the cochin Roos to be the quietest, rarely crowing. I enjoy watching the big guys lumbering across the yard.
Silkies are mostly good for broodiness, and tend to get picked on by some large fowl girls. Ours went broody twice in 9 months, and needed her own area for most of that time.
I have also stayed totally natural in my chicken care, until recently when I used sevin dust...and felt horribly guilty about it. I only used it on the chickens inside the barn, and lightly dusting the floor. None outside, because like you, I don't want to be killing off Bees. I'm hoping once I move the shavings to compost, it'll get wet enough to rinse a lot off, before I move it to the garden.
Do t know if the rooster comment was for me or Double. Anyway, we have three roosters and will have to cull and process one as we feel two should be good for the size flock we have. Pics have been observing and watching the flock, the dynamics and the roosters behaviors. We have teenagers coming of age really and hormones are starting to pick up. That is cool about rinsing off the shavings and re-using, I be we could use my bf product on ours and re-use as well. Have you used DE on the chicken area, I know that topic can be controversial. We have been using DE in herbal gardening for years, so it was only logical we would use it in the chicken area, my routine daily right now is to turn their bedding after I sprinkle some DE (remember not to beneath it in) on it and then once a week we spray the chicken run and coop with his product. As well as I sprinkle DE on all the straw in the run, block the girls out for the day and turn everything to let it dry and air our. This has been working well, smells are mini meal, it also helps that I ferment their food, makes a big difference in their growth, demeanor, coats and smells! Oh and I made an all natural coop cleaner as well, vinegar, orange peels and some essential oils. I use that once a month.

So this got me thinking, what does everyone else do that is all natural, thought it might be fun to share.

Do t know if the rooster comment was for me or Double. Anyway, we have three roosters and will have to cull and process one as we feel two should be good for the size flock we have. Pics have been observing and watching the flock, the dynamics and the roosters behaviors. We have teenagers coming of age really and hormones are starting to pick up. That is cool about rinsing off the shavings and re-using, I be we could use my bf product on ours and re-use as well. Have you used DE on the chicken area, I know that topic can be controversial. We have been using DE in herbal gardening for years, so it was only logical we would use it in the chicken area, my routine daily right now is to turn their bedding after I sprinkle some DE (remember not to beneath it in) on it and then once a week we spray the chicken run and coop with his product. As well as I sprinkle DE on all the straw in the run, block the girls out for the day and turn everything to let it dry and air our. This has been working well, smells are mini meal, it also helps that I ferment their food, makes a big difference in their growth, demeanor, coats and smells! Oh and I made an all natural coop cleaner as well, vinegar, orange peels and some essential oils. I use that once a month.

So this got me thinking, what does everyone else do that is all natural, thought it might be fun to share.

The Roo comment was for double...you must have posted while I was writing :)

I use a few things in our barn/coop. I usually use DE, but wanted to better help the chickens with Sevin because it's been so wet and seems to be extra bugs around. In the shavings, I use PDZ when it seems a bit damp, which I can tell by the smell in the barn. The PDZ is biodegradable, and absorbs all moisture and odor, keeping things fresh. The shavings are deep litter, breaking down in the barn and I just add more when needed. Then about twice a year I remove over half and replace with fresh. The shavings go into my compost pile, and starting next year I'll be using that in my garden.

On no chicken math rules my life. My bf after buying me a 16 week old cream rose comb leghorn Sunday now has agreed to let me get a quieted rooster to keep my 9 ladies busy ahem as egg songs are the latest thing... 2 ameracuanas, 5 easter Eggers, 1 splash polish and now the rose comb leghorn... I think he's trying to push off making another coop and enclosed run (we have 2 retired greyhounds Sagan & Oberon, Sagan catches the most squirrels. )

We have caught 4 raccoons in the last 2 weeks, for sure a mama and 3 more babies (yikes!!) But we're catching them as fast as we can. I desperately want silkies, but the chicken guy my bf listens to said no way on getting silkies and said to get myself some cochins and I'm obsessing on frizzles & sizzles & cochins & silkies.
lau.gif
I have this vision of a silkied naked necked Polish cross that has caught my fancy. Maybe one day I will breed them. I have already seen the Naked Neck White Crested Black Polish cross. They are calling it a Chrysanthemum. I would just like to see what it would look like silkied.

We have a cochin, a silkie pair, and 2 frizzled cochins. We plan to breed the silkies and the silkie roo with the frizzled cochins next spring. They are all sweet and I recommend all of them.

Hi Double welcome to the Colorado board. Thanks for posting, sounds like you have a lot going on and have some similar desires/wants as us. We strive to be all organic in our gardens, we have three different herbal gardens, veggie and cactus gardens. We eat everything here, nothing goes to waste. We feed our dogs veggies and fruit as well as chickens, so scraps are used up, either as slop or in the form of dog treats. I have been through 2 cervical fusions since 2011 and am on the road to recovery. There was a time when I was on over 10 different medicines for my neck. I can say today, I am on two meds and have solid fusions. It has been a road and a struggle at times to work towards being all natural with my body and what goes into it. Anyway, we strive on being organic and mindful of what we put into our environment, so I understand your fear about Sevin. We have 4 be hives currently, we bartered with a local bee keeper to let him house some hives here in exchange for some honey and beeswax. It is a good way to get some all natural raw honey without the cost if buying hives. We also will probably purchase some at the end of this year so we can have them help our gardens. It is pretty cool and exciting. My bf also has an all natural bacterial remediation business, his product is sprayed on all our gardens the chicken coop and run and the dog poop (we have a lot of poop with 28 chickens and 4 dogs!). The product breaks down all the bad bacteria in the soil and rebuilds the soil web and beneficial microbes in the environment,

We also had a coon visit last night, the dogs alerted us and we have a secure run and coop so we didn't have an issue. However, we will be moving the traps to be around the chicken area.

Anyway, welcome and have fun!

This is the first year I've used Sevin also. Our new property has large red ants in the area I free range the chickens. After being bit a couple times we put it just on the ant hills to at least get them to move out of that area. I know we can't get rid of them completely, but I don't want them bothering us or the girls. We have also had a big problem with lice with all this moisture. I thought the extra covered area in the new house would help the girls always have a place to dust bathe, little did I know the roof on that area leaks like a drain! It was a huge mud puddle in there. I'm going to dig up an area for them soon. The ground is just so hard out in the sun they can't scratch a good hole. I need to pick up some more straw for them also. I also just finished my DE and need to get some more. I picked up more Poultry Protector and am going to spray them all down for the next few days.
We do deep litter in the coop and have previously cleaned it out 3-4 times a year, but with the new larger coop with dirt floor I don't plan to clean it out except twice a year. I need to figure out a place for a compost pile before then!

I use a vinegar/orange peel cleaner in the house but I don't use cleaners in the coop. I just scrape any solid stuff off the roosts every now and then.

I don't have much of a garden this year (spring is a bad time to move!) so I haven't had to worry about that. The few tomato plants and strawberry plants are doing fine.

Overall we try to stay all natural. We will be breeding our goat next month or so to have goat milk. I make my own chicken food (fermented and sprouted), cat food, kombucha, yogurt, beer, and canned goods. I'll be making some cheese soon too. Eventually we plan to get a cow also. Bees and a greenhouse are also on the list for next year.

lau.gif
I have this vision of a silkied naked necked Polish cross that has caught my fancy. Maybe one day I will breed them. I have already seen the Naked Neck White Crested Black Polish cross. They are calling it a Chrysanthemum. I would just like to see what it would look like silkied.

Hilarious. We plan to get a naked neck next year for our meat bird project but only a hen. Maybe I can breed her with my silkie roo, then that offspring with my SLP. LOL!

Omg so much welcome here!!!

I would be interested in the stuff to spray all over the place to get my equalibrium back for my property.

I'm kinda a grower type chicka, I have my mmj growing, gluten free eating, and a berry garden, salad garden, herb garden, veggie gardens, flower gardens, working more on adding more gardens/coops/runs.

It has been crazy weather this year!! I'm hoping pm stays away. I had spent 3.5 years in the hospital sick intil 16 months ago, it had turned out celiac disease was the culprit along with all the pharmaceuticals. Now just painkillers when I've tried everything else at my disposal. I used to be in evil corporate America. Venture capital, lending, and bio-chemist that twice got accepted to medical school, but now heal myself & others with my food, botanicals etc.

I would certainly love that barter situation for bees.

I have the 1 polish, and I want the silkies FOR their broody qualities. So new bantam coop/run was my goal. Leave the ee/ameracunas to themselves lol.

As I am working towards having ayum cemani and svart honas soon, as there's someone local who has the cemanis laying fertile eggs now, 3 ladies, 2 roos.

There's a member on here that has a quieted salmon favorelle/wellsummer with the quieting surgery we're getting, but I wanted to try the velcro band similar to the no crow collar to begin getting frizzles & sizzles since my polish seems to becoming the one to get her top hat issues with jealous big sized chickens, but she is by far my best forager.

And my bf being a good chicken daddy... he loves my chickens as much as I do!!

And this schweet coop he built me that's enclosed. I added more chairs etc and stumps tho...

Back
Top Bottom