Colorado

:welcome

Me and mine are not far Deb. We are in Loveland.

Do you have chicks yet?
What breeds are you raising?
How many?
Coop! Must ask about your set up.

Lol lots of questions.
I have 32 at the moment. I keep a variety but my favorites are black Australorp, buff orpington , Cochin's and Brahma.
I have 2 coops one is rather large at 8x14 the other is a 6x8.
:frow

Hey everyone. I've been busy with getting my house ready to put on the market and moving to the new house but I was missing BYC so I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing. Uzi, congrats on the pea eggs developing. That's so exciting. CoChix, sorry you lost some birds to predators. That stinks. Like the others said, you don't have to have chickens to drop by and chat with us. We still want to hear from you.

So I closed on my new house in Peyton on Friday. Spent the long weekend cleaning out part of the barn and putting up a new coop for the birds. I took my chickens out there on Friday night so the neighbors could sleep in Saturday. :lau It was pretty stressful for them in one of the stalls but I'm hoping they will be able to relax in the coop since now they can see what's going on around them. It's nothing fancy since it's inside but it should keep the birds in. I need to add more roosts and nest boxes. I still have work to do on predator proofing the barn, too. My biggest thing is putting down wire to keep things from digging under. I have to get the space ready for the quail before I take them out but I won't move the ducks till I'm out there full time.
IMG_1821.JPG

My dogs already love going out there. It won't take long for them to become country dogs.
IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

Howdy everyone! I agree it has been quiet! Personally, I've just been trying to get the human kids through the last week of school. My Ameraucana babies are getting big. Sadly lost 2 to a racoon last night. My daughter doesn't know yet, so can't say I'm super excited to have that conversation. Did raccoon proof the pen before going in to work today. That is not what you want to clean up in the morning! Only lost 2 out of 14, so could have been much worse.

I do miss reading everyone's posts in here! I hope you do stop to chat, COChix & that everyone is doing well! :)

I haven't had much to post about. Trying to find a source of income since I get my last paycheck tomorrow. It's been disheartening. After going through the process of applying for Social Security Disability, I got more evidence of discrimination & lying from my previous job. I am filing a discrimination claim with the state & a claim that they forced me to resign. It's just been a crappy mood kind of month & to my surprise I had some early drop-ins today:

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

Two have hatched so far (two days early), one died in the shell & there are 3 more left (one has an external pip). I was not prepared for them at all because I was pretty convinced none would hatch. The other three still have some time to hatch & really make me have a stroke. I am surprised to see how different they look, colour wise, but I guess since I know nothing about peafowl I'm not sure what I expected.

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

My three chicks are growing out their feathers & looking incredibly awkward. I have a bad feeling that all three will end up being males. One of my Cemanis, Mazikeen, crowded them all into their carry crate & tried to get them under her. They flipped out & it was a little funny. They are definitely the most ornery chicks I've had so far.

@uzisuzuki I have one pullet that is perpetually in the awkward stage yours are in. All the others look like legitimate mini chickens at this point and I have one that lingers as a forever awkward teenager with random feathers poking out in different directions. She is tiny too, but eats and drinks and runs around with the rest and they don't pick on her, so I like to think that her time will come and she will be something other than scraggly one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom