Colorado

welcome-byc.gif
ikold! I am sure you will enjoy having chickens.

when i looked up the chicken ordinance for loveland it said as many chickens as you like as long as they don't become a nuisance.

Yes, you are right. They define nuisance:
"For the purposes of this Section, nuisance shall mean a material threat
to health or safety, material property damage, offensive odors, or any other condition that
materially interferes with or disrupts another person in the conduct of lawful activities on such
person’s property."

Odor can be controlled and chickens are completely silent at night (when it would be considered noise pollution) so it really shouldn't be an issue at all. :) Do you have chickens already?

Yes, you are right. They define nuisance:
"For the purposes of this Section, nuisance shall mean a material threat
to health or safety, material property damage, offensive odors, or any other condition that
materially interferes with or disrupts another person in the conduct of lawful activities on such
person’s property."

Odor can be controlled and chickens are completely silent at night (when it would be considered noise pollution) so it really shouldn't be an issue at all. :) Do you have chickens already?

yes. we have 7 right now; 5 are about 4.5 wks, 1 is about 2.5 wks and the other is maybe 1 wk. :) Are your really friendly? Most of mine are super friendly once i get them out of the brooder but they all run from my hand when i do anything inside of it.

Thanks! We have a good door on the coop and make sure they are inside every night. How much ventilation do you have in you coop? We live in Colo Springs.

Thanks! We have a good door on the coop and make sure they are inside every night. How much ventilation do you have in you coop? We live in Colo Springs.

Sorry last one was for Mommato5 we have 6 pullets and 4 kids. Having a blast just waiting for eggs.

We're in Lafayette. Looking to start our flock. Would like to purchase some chickens already laying. If you've got some extra layers please send me a PM. Would like 8-12 layers.

best wishes with starting your flock, do loads of reading if you are new to it. I purchased my hens from a woman in Grand Junction, and they laid 7 eggs on the way home, then another 6 in their new coop that day. Haven't really slowed down since. We have 15 hens and normally get 14 eggs per day, had one day where we got 16!!

yes. we have 7 right now; 5 are about 4.5 wks, 1 is about 2.5 wks and the other is maybe 1 wk. :) Are your really friendly? Most of mine are super friendly once i get them out of the brooder but they all run from my hand when i do anything inside of it.

We got ours at 9-14 weeks last year and were not friendly AT ALL! We have hand fed them treats and now they come running when we call. Sometimes they come running just when they hear the door open! LOL They really made huge advances in friendliness when they got to egg-laying age. Now we can even pet them! And my 4 year old is the best chicken-catcher in the family! She catches them and hands them off to someone else, then catches another for herself. :)

We don't have much for ventilation, honestly. Mostly just the pop door and a few random holes left from screws. LOL On hot days we open the big door for air flow (provided it's not raining). I use sand in the coop and filter it like a litter box whenever I start to notice a smell. We have a TINY coop, like 12 sq ft for 4 chickens. But they are only in there for food, eggs and sleeping. They are out every day, even when we got a foot of snow! And their run is 250 sq ft but not enclosed on top so most of the time 2 or 3 fly over the 4ft fence and roam the back yard. We very much want to build or buy a larger coop (4 or 6' by 8') and get more chickens, but, for now, money holds us back. Summer is our busy season so I want to get chicks now and they can grow in the garage until summer when we can afford to upgrade the coop. Hubby thinks that's a bad idea and wants to larger coop ready to go before getting babies. But then they won't lay until next year! *sigh*

Hello everyone! I am in Highalnds Ranhc, CO and have 4 five week-ish old hens (I hope)! I love the BYC site and learned TONS before getting the chickens. Glad to see there are plenty of Colorado Chicken-peeps!!
frow.gif

Hello everyone! I am in Highalnds Ranhc, CO and have 4 five week-ish old hens (I hope)! I love the BYC site and learned TONS before getting the chickens. Glad to see there are plenty of Colorado Chicken-peeps!!
frow.gif

my oldest chicks are about 5 wks and i have a couple younger ones. I've learned tons from this site and my hubby is getting annoyed about all the info i keep telling him. lol

Back
Top Bottom