Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Is that your new place? How nice!

How big is your coop? Is there enough room to add a second ramp and access door? I'm not sure it solves the problem, just wondering about it as an option.

One thing you can try is offering treats in both hands to get them eating near one another, to hasten the adjustment, and remember this is all part of establishing pecking order. You might make a point of putting the younger girls in the coop before the older ones go in on their own, and make sure there is lots of roost space. If you do this nightly, I would expect that eventually they will do it on their own, the trick will be watching the normal time the older girls go in so you can beat them by a minute or so each night until the little girls learn to do it themselves.

I have a similar situation where I have two older girls and five younger girls, but they still have separate coops, and this weekend they are moving into the larger new coop all together. Should be interesting. The younger girls are extremely deferential to the older girls, which the older girls seem to think is funny, and sometimes they'll just look or take a step in their direction and make them scatter. There are decreasing incidents of squawking and a feather pulled here and there, and never any blood drawn, so even though I want them all to get along better, they're doing okay. The little girls are very close in size to the older girls now, just at POL, and that seems to have helped.

2. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Wendell, what I think is most impressive about this is the fact that the ODDs theoretically should be slower growing, meaning letting them get a bit older would make the difference even larger. Very interesting information!

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

The pullets from the ODD line were the last of my Doms to start laying, but the boys got bigger, faster. Weird .

4. wsmith

Also, a member of the Dominique club broke my numbers down even further into average daily wieght gain. The ODD birds outperformed the CH birds across the board from start to finish. And even with that, the ODD cocerels are still a little small when compared to the APA SOP. Lots of work to do! [​IMG]

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]Heya jgurshtein!!! Welcome to BYC and our Colorado thread. I've always ordered from Ideal in Texas with good results. Or like someone else said wait for the farm stores to get them in, some of them in March. That way you can actually pick and choose which ones you want without putting them through the stressful trip. Good luck!!

6. wsmith

Welcome jgurshtein. As has been stated by a couple others, there are many on this BYC forum who live in Colorado that would be glad to sell you some chicks. Another bonus with that is that you could probably go right to the location, see the mature birds and pick out the chicks you want, like at the farm store. I should have chicks available in March or April.I raise American Dominique Large Fowl.

7. jgurshtein

jgurshtein Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Ok, here's another question. How stressful would a car ride be? I mean, if I were to take a day trip out to someone's farm and hand pick my chicks, drive them home and then put them in their chick bin... that would probably be less stressful for the chicks than it would be for me worrying about my first chick purchase. :D And a less than one day car ride with their future mama would certainly be less stressful to the chicks than being packed in a box and shipped to me via standard postal services.

My husband and I were thinking of getting a variety of birds for our start up flock so we can compare them and decide where we'd want to go in the future. So, we were thinking of one of each of the following breeds: Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Brahma and Red Star. Of course I'm open to suggestions and advice on breeds and variety within a flock for a first timer. I'm also thinking that if I were to do the day trip thing, my choices would be much more limited. Also, since it's just the two of us, we were thinking of starting small with 3 good layers or 4 birds with varying laying abilities.

8. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    We had chicks shipped, and also picked up some locally. I liked picking them up locally better. They were just happier, and it was less stressful all around. The ones we ordered were from mypetchicken, and we didn't have any issues, they got here in one day.
    We also picked an assortment for our first chicks, so I could watch and see which I preferred. That has worked out really well, and we've enjoyed the different personalities. Then we found a woman with Cochins, and those are the ones we went to pick up.
    No matter which you choose, chicks are fun, and having chickens in the backyard is entertainment every day. I'm really glad we jumped right in, instead of thinking about it for too long.

9. wsmith

We got shipped chicks from Cackle hatchery and fertile eggs from a breeder in Virginia. Picking them out at the farm is fun, you get to interact with the breeder/farmer and generally it is less stressful for the birds. Not that they can't handle it though. When you pick them up you are already prepared, and you aren't waiting around for the post office to call. Some brreds are naturally sex linked, the vast majority are not. The hatcheries have trained sexers who are fairly accurate in determining male from female. That is the biggest benefit (just my opinion) of hatchery birds. Another thing to be aware of is that not all breeds and lines are created equal... Hatcheries are in the business of making money, not producing show birds. They breed the hens that lay the best and are the most fertile, that way more money can be made. There is a big difference between a breeder's line of a particular breed and those of a hatchery. Hatchery birds are great, and are usually very healthy chickens that will lay eggs as advertized. Breeder birds are bred to APA Standard of Perfection (usually, there re some disreputable breeders out there), and not just to hatch out lots of chicks. You mentioned a few breeds, all of which are good layers. Leghorns are egg laying machines, but are not usually overly friendly. BO's (buff orpingtons) are nice birds that lay a nice sized egg. RIRs are very good layers, and get to be a nice size if you have any plans on eating them. Some do, some don't. Brahmas get big. Red Stars are a hybrid that lay extremely well, but do not breed true.
    You may want to consider some other heritage breeds as well. Barred Rocks get big and lay a nice large egg. Some can be very friendly. Dominiques (which of course are the best... ) are smaller hens but are very efficient, much more than say a barred rock. It all depends on what you like or want. Do lots of reading, go visit folks with various breeds and see whaich ones you like. Some even like the fluffy Silkies, but I'm still trying to decide if they are really chickens... LOL

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I just have to throw EEs in for consideration! I got mine from mypetchicken as my first order (Yeesh, has it been almost 3 yrs already???). Anyways, I love them! Awesome personalities, highly inquisitive and sociable. And the green eggs don't hurt either! Absolute mystery what they will grow to look like(I love a good mystery). Now if I could just get them to stop taking a month to molt... :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by