Colorado

What age do you know for sure the sex of your Silkies?

Probably in another month I can be 90% sure. I'm about 70% sure at the moment. One has a much larger comb than the other two which is what I am going off of right now. I am on the lookout for streamers now. :)

And what are streamers? Lol. I've got three silkies, so any tips would be great. Two of mine are feathering pretty slow, and one is a lot puffier. And I'm keeping an eye on combs as well.

I have three dark blue Silkie chicks (13 weeks). I THINK I have two girls and one boy but it is soooo hard to tell. I was looking at possibly listing two of them, $6 each(basically enough to cover food and egg purchase price). I was only looking at keeping one girl. Let me know if you are interested.

Wow, yeah that would be awesome. Mind waiting unfilled you know which is a roo? Don't want to run a fowl (haha) of the city of Denver....

Last edited:
How can you tell its a boy?   He looks very close to my EE gals.

For the longest time I was SURE he was a girl. He was the smallest, by a lot, and took forever getting his feathers! At 10 weeks my hubby pointed out his red comb and was concerned he was a boy. I posted his pic on the BYC forum and had a unanimous response that he was male.

And now he's crowing. Yesterday we thought we saw nubs where the spurs will grow. Someone else mentioned pointy saddle feathers, too. It's really sad because he was the favorite but we live in the city and noisy roosters are a no-no. At least he's going to a good home. :)

Are you still getting eggs from your EE's then? Mine quit....just up and stopped....about 4 weeks ago. Not one blue or green egg since. My leghorns, Red Stars, and SLW's are all still laying. The red stars a little less they are nearing molt age, the slw's not too much they just started a couple weeks ago. The EE's were hatched in March, started laying in early July, and then the beginning of October they just quit. Any ideas?
We still get about 2 EE eggs per day. Don't know what they will do in the coming weeks. There are a couple of possibilities. 1. Are they in a moult?; 2nd, they may just have stopped or slowed down for the winter; 3rd, they are organized and are on strike, waiting for more treats or attention....
lol.png

For the longest time I was SURE he was a girl. He was the smallest, by a lot, and took forever getting his feathers! At 10 weeks my hubby pointed out his red comb and was concerned he was a boy. I posted his pic on the BYC forum and had a unanimous response that he was male.
And now he's crowing. Yesterday we thought we saw nubs where the spurs will grow. Someone else mentioned pointy saddle feathers, too. It's really sad because he was the favorite but we live in the city and noisy roosters are a no-no. At least he's going to a good home.
smile.png

The tail feather sickles and the long hackle feathers, combined with the larger comb are the giveaway. And of course, now that he's crowing there isn't any doubt. How is his "attitude"? Most all of the EE roosters we had were jerks. Maybe it was frustration with all those cute chicks outside in the run that they couldn't associate with.......
love.gif

Wow, yeah that would be awesome. Mind waiting unfilled you know which is a roo? Don't want to run a fowl (haha) of the city of Denver....

I can wait a bit. :) I will try and organize a better photo shoot today and post in the 'what breed or gender' category. These three are cute but I am one over the legal limit for their coop size. :rolleyes: I think the code enforcement squealers moved but still...

Back
Top Bottom