Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    I have done some research about getting NPIP cert. Does anyone that has gone through the process ...know what is involved?

Joe

2. coloradorobin

coloradorobin New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Where do I find a list of the breeders in the Denver area? We'd like to skip the chicks next time (we have a tiny 1 bedroom bungalow and 3 kids so finding the room to start them indoors is tricky). We have 4 australorps currently and are thinking about more or buff orpingtons.
    Thanks!

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Going through it right now. Contacted the State Vet, and arranged for a meeting to test the chickens. That will be on the 19th of this month. Fill out the paperwork, pay the fees, wait for your number. There are rules about aquiring new stock, etc from that point on.

4. wsmith

Still putting a breeder list together. For now, the best way to do it would be to post on this site which breeds you're looking for, and also go to the breed national club and ask them as well.

5. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    Thanks W!
    I have sent a letter to the State. I am expanding my flock in February, so I think it would be best to wait???

6. wsmith

If you are getting your additional birds fom an NPIP source, then you could get it done any time. I know they like to get everything done in the area at the same time so as to save travel expense.

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Welcome to Nigel and Robin [​IMG]

Be careful getting chickens from an unknown source. Unfortunately diseases are spread very easily between chickens.

8. wsmith

Very true. There is an issue right now out in Oregon with some chicken illnesses that were spread during a chicken sale or something. Several birds have died.
    An NPIP certified source is a good start for healthy birds. That being said, every breeder is diferent, and takes care of their birds differently.

9. nigelthefish

nigelthefish New Egg

Oct 22, 2012
    You mean I shouldn't have bought my birds from the guy on Colfax in the trench coats say "Psstttt, buddy, want a chicken?" [​IMG]

We got ours from some friends who were moving to Thornton where they weren't allowed and I figure someone offering to sell me one on a chicken forum might not be a bad place either (PM sent BTW)

10. coloradorobin

coloradorobin New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Illicit back street chicken dealing, eh? :) Good to know about NCIP and so forth. I am pretty naive about bad things. Our four "chickies" have thrived under our well-meant but newbie care. I'll definitely do more research before spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by