Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I only have 20 min to make up my mind but should I bring my girls in? They only have the temp shelter that is open in the front and has a small ceramic heater. I will be gone till about 5 pm today. Do you think the girls can handle 30 degrees with just that?

2. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    I think they will be fine as long as they can get out of any wind and precipitation.

3. TracieJS

TracieJS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

Oh my ... And I was worried about the neighborhood cat!

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Ditto. We have a big black stray that comes through every so often. So far he hasn't shown any interest in the birds and by his behavior I am guessing he is here to help with my mouse problem. :rolleyes: As long as he keeps his eyes on the vermin and not on my girls...

5. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    We have several cats that run around here, mostly out for the mice. When they come too close to the hens, the hens run them off. Funniest thing to see, hens running at the cats with necks stretched out, feathers puffed up, and squawking at the cat....cat on the run.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. jgurshtein

jgurshtein Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Holy cow everyone! Thanks for the replies and info about chick availability! I feel a bit more confident now that I'll be able to find the breeds I want locally without having to stress the chicks with delivery.

I have a coworker who seems to have a lot of her own beliefs about chickens and gardens and the like. Since I'm new to the whole thing I've been listening pretty closely to what she was saying. However, recently I've come across a ton of resources that refute what she tells me and, honestly, what she was telling me often just didn't ring true. So I've got a question for you! Can I get an incredibly mixed flock (1 bird of 5 or 6 breeds) and not have them picking on each other? My coworker had 5 or 6 birds and 2 were a different breed and she thinks those 2 died because the flock saw them as different and ostracized them or killed them.... or something. I'll be perfectly happy with two breeds or a bunch, I just want a second (or fifth) opinion! Thanks again. :)

7. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

here are my kiddos, who love to watch our chickens :)
    [​IMG]
    who needs toys? the chickens are soo fun to watch

[​IMG]
    no you have to stay outside, you are outside pets, you can't come in
    [​IMG]

8. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 different breeds and they all get along great. My first 3 are Buff Orpington, Black Austrolorp, and Dominique
    my new girls are 2 americaunas, 1 speckled susex, and 1 silver Laced Wynnotte. Other than age, they don't have any
    issues with each other. Hope that helps. I really like a diverse flock :)

9. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Very Nice![​IMG]

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have had a broad variety at times. The only issue I ever ran into was mixing a stubborn/dominant breed with a flighty/neurotic breed (Speckled Sussex and Silver Spangled Hamburg). The Sussex couldn't really boss anyone (My EEs had top notches and were NOT giving that up and the Australorp just didn't care to play) so she started bullying my little Hamburg (the only chicken lower than her in the pecking order). Poor little Salsa (the Hamburg) was terrified of everything. She didn't even want to sleep in the coop!

Wendy- LOVE the pics!

Posted pics of my Blue Silkies! If you want to see the pics... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/579215/silkie-sexing/360#

I am now thinking I have two boys and one girl. We will see what the experts say though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by