Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Hi Aaron! I am in the Barnes/Powers area, so not too far from you. :) Def no need to heat the coop. If you feel like pampering them though you can get a heat pad to put in for the really cold days.

3. mynamesjenelle

mynamesjenelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

I love this sweet little face! EE's are the nicest & most entertaining little things.

Wow, we live about 5 minutes away from you! If you want to come by and see our setup sometime send me a PM. We don't have any RIR's but we have five other breeds. I can definitely tell you all about what hasn't worked so far :lol:

4. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    We have a couple people here who do have flocks of RIR. RIRs are sweet birds. Is there any reason you want RIRs? I'm out in Falcon if you ever want to come over to see my layout and my mutts. :) Just PM me and I'll let you know where I'm at.

He's beautiful. Luckily, I haven't had any experience up close and personal with these guys.

I suspect that the people who do the tour are not NPIP certified? I am scheduled for testing next Monday. I'm so nervous even though I know that the testing is mostly just a formality as nobody fails. Still hate tests though.

5. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mice

I found a little mice scurrying in my garage as I was taking care of my flock today. i suspect that if there is 1, there is more than one. So what route do I go? I know that its very hard to keep them out. Do I try to do the non-poisonous traps or do I look into a good barn/garage cat? This weekend will be spent cleaning out the garage and trying to figure out where they are coming in and fixing that problem.

6. mynamesjenelle

mynamesjenelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

If you find a good solution let me know. We had mice in the compost bin this summer and a couple nights ago there was one in the chicken run itself. HOW we have no idea, since the run is completely enclosed by 1/4" hardware cloth buried and cemented into the ground. I want something non-poisonous too since there are lots of cats and hawks here that will probably end up eating the dead mice.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

I used sticky traps to try and control things. Snap traps were useless; the field mice were too light to set them off. :/. I managed to catch the 'big daddy' of them all with one snap trap and he ended up as chicken food. I caught seven mice in two days with the stickies. I don't think they will work much longer outside though. It's too cold out now.

8. adtco

adtco New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    All
    I am framing my mobile chicken coop. As I mentioned, I am planning on 2 Rhode Island Reds. My coop (insulated btw) has about 9 sf/ft with an additional 7ft X 3 ft fenced run. I was planning on just moving it around in the grassy area of my back yard. Additionally, I am going to run wire along the floor of the run. With the wire floor cause any problems with the chickens scratching? I have heard of a few people doing this. I am also concerned with the coop size. I have heard many different thoughts about adequate square footage and am now worrying my coop may be on the small size. One final thought for this post...I am open for suggestions on shavings inside the coop. Should I line the floor with shavings and if so, how deep? How often do I sweep them all out? I see some clean the coops daily and it seems to me like that would be a large amount of shavings/poop over the course of a year. Will that be a manageable amount for composting? Do we have a problem with lice and mites in CO Springs for chickens? Sorry for the questions. I have read plenty of contradictory information and I figure if it works for you in Colorado, it will work for me.

Thanks
    Aaron

9. These are almost exactly the questions I had my first few months! There is a thread that is all oldtimers with chickens 10-20 years or more that is the best source. Beekissed is the most prolific old timer that posts there but there are several common sense experts. My coop is 10x12 ft insulated with a huge run about 40x100. I have 25 chickens and one turkey. My coop is on the small side but because they have a huge run and only stay in the coop at night my flock is peaceful. I have 2 roosters which also helps keep the peace. You should have 3 chickens minimum because they are very social creatures and the general rull is 3 or more. If you let them out every day and you watch them and they seem happy your coop will be fine. If they are pecking each other and miserable then its not big enough. If they grew up together they are more likely to be friendly to each other.
    I started out with straw, hay, shavings and found that shavings worked the best. Drier, smell better and over all more fun for chickens. I was killing myself cleaning it out each wek when I heard about deep litter. DL is counterintuitive. It seems like it would be nasty and smell but I've been doing it since August and there is no odor and the litter smells like dirt. Now I have added shavings almost every week to the floor and its about 6-8 inches deep. It is providing warmth and the chickens keep it stirred up. I'll try to post the link to the old timers thread. Is a must read. Might take a year to read at the rate I am going but its lively and interesting all the time.
    L

10. This is a sight that one of the old timers started with a logical way to look up specific questions and graphic photos. I have to go out and come back in to get you all the thread I want to recommend so bear with me and my lack of tek saavy.
    L

[​IMG]
    Natural Chicken Keeping
    naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com
    Natural Chicken Care and Chicken Keeping, Care for chickens in a natural, organic and holistic way. Methods based on chicken behavior and biology.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by