Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    got my laptop back today! if i have to send it in for the same issue a third time i am going to be looking at getting a new one. It might have been better to keep the computer from me till after black friday/cyber monday though.... lol

Anyone have any special plans for thanksgiving? I'm going to be up in the red feather lake/livermoore area and will be doing at least half the cooking. The kids are looking forward to riding the zip line and 4 wheelers again.

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    No special plans here. Just a small bird and a couple Skype calls. I have one cousin in state but everyone else is scattered. It seems like everyone else is on one coast or the other, no one in the middle! Guess we had to be the oddballs. :rolleyes:

3. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i have inlaws out here but all my family is in mn/ia/wi

4. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Fun,. we did a winter Rev War outing up that way a couple years ago.

I'm cooking up the turkey, all the kids are home. Some of their friends are coming over

5. jgurshtein

jgurshtein Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Nothing big planned for Thanksgiving for us. I'm even a little nervous about it because the family doesn't really understand WHY ON EARTH someone would want backyard chickens.

Anywho... I have two questions:

1) I've heard various answers to this but I'm going to go with general consensus from BYCers as my final answer. Do I need special shoes designated as 'chicekn shoes?' They would only be worn in the chicken run and especially not in the house. I understand WHY this might be a good idea for both birds and humans, but I'm wondering if it's truly necessary. I live in Denver proper so I could never have a true barn yard set up....

2) I am building my run in such a way that will use wooden privacy fencing as one of the sides. Because of our location, there are enough predators in the area that I have decided to surround the entire thing in predator proof hardware cloth (even going to bury some!). Do I need to put the hardware cloth on the privacy fencing or will it be considered enough of a barrier to keep predators out? What about mice?

6. wsmith

1) Shoes: It depends. Wearing different shoes in the chicken pens/yard will keep poo off your carpet and off your good shoes. It is a good idea if around other flocks, for bio-security. Necessary? no.
    2) Fence: Privacy fence is nice. Hardware cloth/welded wire fencing is good for keeping canines and recoons, etc out. Mice can go through very small fencing; don't remember how small. Take a look at our facebook page and you can see what we have done. Around the perimeter, we have a welded wire skirting, and also about 2 ft high welded wire attached to the lower 2 ft of the wood fence. the flat skirting is staked to the ground, and is about 2 ft wide. So far so good in keeping the nasties out.
    [​IMG]

7. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I got mine too. :)

8. wsmith

YAY!!!
    [​IMG]

How long did they take at your place? They were only here for about 30 minutes

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

1). I wear different shoes just to keep from tracking more chicken poo into the house. I found some rain boots at one of those big box stores; white with gray polka dots. :D

2) I would say what you are doing sounds like a good plan. Nothing will keep mice out if they really want in. A quarter inch or less crack anywhere and they're in. I still remember this little mouse popping under the wall in my dorm room. It was crazy! My roommate kept snacking on those low calorie rice cakes and wouldn't sweep up the crumbs until the next morning. Of course, she never saw the mouse... Until I trapped it. And it's buddy.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    DH went and created a business page on FB for me. 71 likes already! Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by