Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Going to try to post Duane Urch price list here, if it doesn't work I will PM it to you, Ashley. Stupid Firefox "upgrade." Grrr. Driving me nuts!

[ATTACHMENT=283] (777k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

2. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    What can you tell me about Duane's stock?

3. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

I don't have firsthand knowledge yet, but am told by several well-regarded fellow BYCers that he has good birds and that he may not be in the biz many years longer. He has some breeds that are not the easiest to find, at least not good birds. His chicks are about twice hatchery price, but the same as Tony Albritton, at $7 per chick (or $3 per egg - Tony does not sell eggs) plus shipping. If I had a broody or an incubator I might try eggs instead of chicks, but so far have neither, and at least with chicks you know you are not spending three weeks wondering whether you have anything :)

Honestly, if money was not a limiting factor, I would probably get several of the breeds he offers, but (as for most of us) that is not the case :) Would like to have some of every color leghorn, some Mottled Anconas, some Dorkings, etc. Following the advice of some of the OTs, I am trying to focus on only one or two breeds, and since Speckled Sussex and colored Leghorns are really where my heart begins, that's where I'm staying. At least that's where I'm at today. Then again I often feel I should have a few of everything I like to see how they all are to live with.

I know how the SS are, I know how the Leghorns are, they are breeds I've had before and admired for their essential qualities. I've had many other breeds I like as well, and have not had breeds I'd like to try (Doms, Anconas, Swedish Flower Hens, several really). Some have traits in common, some are just so different and interesting I am really curious about them. I would like to eventually have enough hens reliably broody that I never have to worry about having an incubator, but that day is far in the future. Structures and secure runs for multiple breeds are necessary before i am able to keep and perpetuate whichever breeds I decide I want to go forward with in terms of real breeding programs, and everything else will just be part of the home laying flock or extras for sale. For my money at this time, if I had to stick with one breed it would be the SS, and that is why I reserved chicks already. They lay fairly well, are big enough to feed us if they are not good layers, blend in with the landscape so they are not the first spotted by predators, are great grasshopper consumers, and are pretty to look at. They also completely entertain DH, and since I usually need his guidance and assistance with construction projects, it helps to gain his cooperation when I decide to announce I've reserved 25 chicks I plan to keep at least half of :)

4. ojoscafes15

ojoscafes15 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Mommato5-

Our families are very similar. My youngest 3, a first grader and twin 3 graders have IEP's. They all take speech and one of my twins are being tested for a learning disability. My oldest (6th grade) is gifted and in the gifted program. Honestly he is my biggest concern. He is ADHD too. He is a really good kid but he gets bored so easily. I tried homeschooling and that just didnt work for us. He has made straight B's with almost no effort and right now he has all A's and one B with little effort. He needs to be challenged and pushed. I am just worried now that he is entering puberty, he starting just not care cause he is so bored. He does Archery and loves it. In San Diego, they went to a project based, accelerated school and all of them did well adn loved it. this school year they went to the neighborhood elementary school and they all crave that hands on learning and my oldest is just plain out bored. So i am open to the Charter Idea, but I am glad to know that New Vision is one a good one. I already applied to a choice in school in Poudre district. Just so we have choices, but for the remainder of this school year I know they will have to finish at the local elementary school. Thank you so much for your input. I will start looking in Loveland and keep my options open.

5. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Open enrollment for Loveland schools is Nov 26 - Dec 21. Thank you to the person who pointed out it was earlier this year! Last year it ended just after winter break, this year it's before! I need to submit one for my 8th grader so he can go to high school with his brother next year!

Ojoscafes15, we do have a lot in common! My 3 boys have all had speech (2 have graduated), 2 had OT (both graduated). My 2nd grader has a learning disability so he has a TON of reading support during and after school (his teacher started an after school reading group for struggling kids). My 8th grader was diagnosed with ADHD earlier this year, too, although there is some debate as to whether it's Aspergers instead. My oldest is autistic so Aspergers makes sense. My 8th grader gets support from the special Ed teacher who helps him organize and get his homework turned in (he'll do the work and then not turn it in). He's struggled with failing grades but seems to be working very hard to turn it around this year. He's got all A's and B's right now! He also struggles with depression and social awkwardness. Middle school is really a tough time....

6. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Wow, what a great variety. I'll have to think a bit. I've got 3 Cochin Roos right now, and I'm still trying to decide which to keep after winter. They're just so dang pretty I can't make up my mind.
    But, we lost a Polish chick from our first 6, and my oldest still reminds me every day that she needs another.

7. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I cant believe I didn't even think of ichthammol for bumbles, makes total sense. It's used in Boil salves, there's one called Boil-ease, but we can't use it on chickens because of the benzocaine. However, I went searching online and found this page: http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Boil_Drawing_Salve it mentions some other possibilities. Those other possibilities make me think of stores like Sprouts, Sunflower market, whole foods, etc. They've got a lot of homeopathic things in their vitamin area. I'll be checking those stores on Friday while I'm out, I'll let you know if I find anything.

8. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011

My brother is interested in some other types of turkeys. If it is later in the year, he would order some of those. As for me.... he has such a selection. I wouldn't know where to start. Let me know when you place and order and where and I'll see if there is anything that looks interesting enough to order.

I never knew turmeric was drawing. I don't have any turmeric oil or I'd try some of that. I just checked her one foot quickly before I let her out. I'm amazed at how much of a difference just a couple of days make. She is still waddling a little weirdly on that one side but her other foot looks good. The medium bumble has mostly closed in and now there is just a scab. Swelling is down to almost not even being there. The large bumble with swelling is still there though. It isn't as bad and her pad isn't as warm to the touch as it was. I have to tell myself that I will not cut into her foot... I will not cut into her foot.... until I try the tricide-neo.

9. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

FYI:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/724732/wanted-lf-cochin-rooster

10. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Quote from Pozees:

"FYI, reserved 25 Speckled Sussex chicks from Tony Albritton for spring, told him March or April was fine, if anyone else is thinking of ordering from him we can combine, or if anyone wants a few SS chicks I don't really *need* 25. Still deciding about an order from Duane Urch - really want some Brown Leghorns, but can't swing 25 with the SS already reserved. Wendell I know you said you would be interested in a few Doms if I need to fill an order, Megshenhut, Suncatcher, and Pichuris, are you still interested or waiting to make decisions? Not in a hurry, just curious."

Yes, Pozees, I'm definitely still interested in helping fill an order.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by