Colorado

how old? the red lamp is killig the ability to see if there is any red in the comb or wattles. i can't see anything that suggests roo, but it also appears to be very young still.
Here's a better pic. They are 4 weeks

Onstad1 there's a vet on the south side (actually more like Security/Widefield/Fountain area) right on 85/87, James Graf, I think his practice is Fountain Creek or Fountain Valley Vet?  Great vet, very caring, very honest, I used him until I moved to Pueblo, and even after that took a cat to him to be euthanized when she was at death's doorstep, and he was incredibly kind, waited for my son and Bob to get there to say goodbye even though he most certainly needed the exam room for other patients. 

My brother uses this vet and had lots of nice thigs to say about him.

Holy cow, I miss one week and I feel like a stranger on this thread! So many new people!

Any who, someone was asking about re store. There is another re store in woodland park. It's about 30 minute drive from I-25 and 24.

Update on my chicks: they are all growing well and feathering in nicely.. Except the 2 cuckoo Marans. If ever there was to be chickens that would make me not want to own chickens these two would be the ones. They have pasty butt every single day. They are almost 3 weeks old now. Every day!! I clean them every night when I get home from work and I even tried trimming their feathers around their butt. I tried acv, molasses, switching to mash instead of crumbles. Nothing has worked. They are also growing much slower then the other chicks. They still look like chicks. The others are all feathering in nicely. And they are also much smaller... I am hoping they grow out of this as I am getting tired of wiping chick butt..

On to other news. The eggs in the bator are looking great! Just candled tonight and 10/11 are for sure viable. The other is questionable. Lock down is sneaking up on me.. My only concern is that my bator only holds water in its reservoir for 3 days before it goes dry... Since I have no window to check I read that you are not supposed to open the bator until 1 day after hatch day.. I might just top off really fast after the first day of lockdown.

Holy cow, I miss one week and I feel like a stranger on this thread! So many new people!

Any who, someone was asking about re store. There is another re store in woodland park. It's about 30 minute drive from I-25 and 24.

Update on my chicks: they are all growing well and feathering in nicely.. Except the 2 cuckoo Marans. If ever there was to be chickens that would make me not want to own chickens these two would be the ones. They have pasty butt every single day. They are almost 3 weeks old now. Every day!! I clean them every night when I get home from work and I even tried trimming their feathers around their butt. I tried acv, molasses, switching to mash instead of crumbles. Nothing has worked. They are also growing much slower then the other chicks. They still look like chicks. The others are all feathering in nicely. And they are also much smaller... I am hoping they grow out of this as I am getting tired of wiping chick butt..

On to other news. The eggs in the bator are looking great! Just candled tonight and 10/11 are for sure viable. The other is questionable. Lock down is sneaking up on me.. My only concern is that my bator only holds water in its reservoir for 3 days before it goes dry... Since I have no window to check I read that you are not supposed to open the bator until 1 day after hatch day.. I might just top off really fast after the first day of lockdown.
Adam you can add moisture using moistened cloths in plastic containers to supplement the reservoir, or what some people have done is run a tube from the reservoir through the side or top that they can then use to top off the reservoir without opening the incubator. This last I have yet to try but it makes sense and shouldn't be all that difficult.

I just read of a hatch where the keeper didn't put the eggs into lockdown until the first external pip, and she had a pretty good hatch compared to a previous one she attempted. I am not ready to try that but will keep it in the back of my mind for possible future trial.

Adam, you didn't mention yogurt or probiotics. If you haven't tried them, give it a go. I keep a small container of probiotics around for rehab on any critter, young - old, big- small. Oh, and I think Marans are slow to mature in general.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom