Colorado

Wether he escaped or was abandoned is almost moot, how is anyone going to catch him? Poor thing is going to end up something's meal before long.

I would try a slower approach, if someone just left him in the wild you can't leave out the possibility that he was harmed or neglected by the original owner. Now I am not saying that has happen but I think it should be assumed, at the very least he has become skiddish from living in the wild. It could also just be his nature and that would make it worse. So I would bring him meal worms, start dry and just leave a few for him at a safe distance, let him feel safe. If you have time you may work on getting him to be comfortable around you. Then try to get him to come to you with live ones, don't grab him right away. If you mess up he may never come to you again. If you can't get him to come to you you might try a live trap but either way be ready for a fight. At least that is how I would approach it. I hope you can catch him and find him a good home.

Last edited:
Wether he escaped or was abandoned is almost moot, how is anyone going to catch him? Poor thing is going to end up something's meal before long.
Oh, on this side of town he'll certainly end up food in short order. I have to fight back the predators in my own backyard. My coop and run are like fort-freaking-knox. Raccoons, coyotes, foxes, mountain lions and bears.
And yes, it is definitely illegal to have roosters in the city limits. Had to rehome one just a few weeks ago.

Wow! So much going on cant keep up to respond to everyone.

Wishing all the ill or troubles away from my fellow chickeners!
Congrats to the new papas & mamas!
Welcome to all new folks.

Too bad for that rooster, hope he doesn't try to cross the road! ;)
Could you imagine driving down road and seeing that in Denver. I must say I would have to lol a little.

I would try a slower approach, if someone just left him in the wild you can't leave out the possibility that he was harmed or neglected by the original owner. Now I am not saying that has happen but I think it should be assumed, at the very least he has become skiddish from living in the wild. It could also just be his nature and that would make it worse. So I would bring him meal worms, start dry and just leave a few for him at a safe distance, let him feel safe. If you have time you may work on getting him to be comfortable around you. Then try to get him to come to you with live ones, don't grab him right away. If you mess up he may never come to you again. If you can't get him to come to you you might try a live trap but either way be ready for a fight. At least that is how I would approach it. I hope you can catch him and find him a good home.

If someone seriously wants to catch him, then you need to find out where he is roosting and then get him before he is ready to leave the roost in the AM. Right now that is running about 4:30ish AM. He will crow for a little while before totally waking up.....

I have 2 drakes that need a new home ASAP. One Pekin and one Crested Pekin. They are bonded and need to go together. Get along great with other ducks, my Labradors, and our 2 year old. They are free as long as you give them a good home and lots of love. Not meat ducks.

I am going over to my friends house tonight for book club... I will pass on the suggestions for catching the rooster, but to be honest, I think the rooster was dumped. Pine cliff has a number of bears in the neighborhood. In fact, I was there for an easter egg hunt and we had to stop and hold the kiddos back while a bear walked through the park in the middle of the day. I think this rooster must be pretty smart to survive without any shelter in a very predator heavy area. I feel so sorry for him :(

Did a little work around our house, and the ladies and gentleman (as I call them) even got a little treat. We lifted up some boards of wood to find HUGE crickets, so a smack here and it was off to the chickens. They LOVED them. Just goes to prove that chickens are not vegetarians.

No pics yet, got home so late it was all I could do to assess the current status of everyone and get food freshened and water changed. The Dom chick was sticking close to the hen still on the eggs while I was in the pen, and I didn't want to risk any mishaps with possible hatches in progress, so I still don't know if it has a rose comb or single. The last CL to hatch last night died today, but another one hatched and looks just fine, so right now, what I am able to see in there is 2 CL and 1 Dom chick. The hen is still so tight on the nest I have to believe at least one more is hatching, but I guess time will tell. Patience is a virtue, I keep repeating to myself LOL. Never been known as an especially virtuous person :)

No pics yet, got home so late it was all I could do to assess the current status of everyone and get food freshened and water changed. The Dom chick was sticking close to the hen still on the eggs while I was in the pen, and I didn't want to risk any mishaps with possible hatches in progress, so I still don't know if it has a rose comb or single. The last CL to hatch last night died today, but another one hatched and looks just fine, so right now, what I am able to see in there is 2 CL and 1 Dom chick. The hen is still so tight on the nest I have to believe at least one more is hatching, but I guess time will tell. Patience is a virtue, I keep repeating to myself LOL. Never been known as an especially virtuous person :)
Cool.

We candled last night. Last batch of the year. 22 went in. 6 didn't start. 8 quit. The 8 remaining look pretty good.

We got a nice rain last night over a couple of hours. The ground was still wet with standing water in puddles. We haven't had that in months at our place. It was nice. The chickens stayed out in most of it and got wet, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves. They were mostly dry by 8:30 last evening. The juveniles were smart and went under cover. In a week or so I will close the creep gate and lock the juvies out of the growout pen. Everybody gets aslong great, but the juvies are going back to their small coop each night rather than go in with the big birds. That soon stop. All it takes is for one of them to venture into the big house, and they will all follow shortly.

Well...boo! So, were looking to add another dog to our family. Yep, a border collie and or blue heeler mix ;) haha puppy so she can just keep watch and learn to be a chicken lover and protector...we have a Male Altered Boxer, Floppy n Fawn.
So, I found a border collie blue heeler mix in Sugar City (Gwad I hope she doesn't do Co BYC, doubt it)..5.5 months old - female (which we want) nearly all black sweet looking. Of course on Craigslist ..
I go back to check for the ad on Craigslist because they say they are moving and have a general post listing numerous items for sale one being the 5.5 month old working dog....
She took the 5.5 month old down - as we have setup with this person to drive down and go get her this weekend.
BUT now she/he has a 3 month old listed on the ad...
We spoke via text all day Monday and she seemed genuine and honest...
Furthermore, Im now in a mix of emotions and want BOTH of these pups but I'm afraid she might catch on to my inquiry of the 3 month old last night from a different email (I kept it vague) ...because she NEVER mentioned having a 3 month old too....
Shoot Fire - I feel like I'm suppose make sure these pups come home to us...eeek - what's your take?

Back
Top Bottom